Here's another use for spent grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I did my first All Grain this morning. A wonderful Kolsch Kit from Austin HBS. Rather than pitch the grains, I spread them out over some flat rocks in the front yard to dry in the hot Texas sun. Sure enough, in just over 4 hours, I had some customers.

4569-Use4SpentGrains.jpg

My MLT with the stainless hose worked GREAT! I used a pre-chiller and my wort was down to 80 degrees in about 20 minutes. I pitched a White Labs Kolsch Yeast, and now it's off to finish cleaning up.

Nice. You can call me full of it if you want But if I did that I'd have javalinas in my yard. About 3 weeks back I spotted 6 of the critters behind my house.
Congrats on yer first AG.

Yeah, I know. SWMBO is a big animal lover. I only want to harvest one one a year I tell her. It doesn't work. I guess I'll stick to fishing. Soon I'll be able to wheel the 3 gallon corny down to the bank and after a while, I won't care if I catch anything.:drunk:

EdWort said:
Yeah, I know. SWMBO is a big animal lover. I only want to harvest one one a year I tell her. It doesn't work. I guess I'll stick to fishing. Soon I'll be able to wheel the 3 gallon corny down to the bank and after a while, I won't care if I catch anything.:drunk:
I guess I'm lucky my wife wants me to go shoot a deer so she can cook with it.:D

The deer in Oakland, CA would actually stand around waiting for us to finish mashing! Due to fire safety, pruning & weed control, there wasn't much for them to eat. The deer in Oregon don't eat spent grains, they prefer ripping apples and leaves off of fruit trees. I compost the grain out by the hop vines.

Some good eat'n on javalinas. My sister in Tucson has them all over the place.

Hmm, SWMBO helps me gut, drag, hang and butcher deer. I must be lucky!

I'm all cool with getting women into hunting, but I'm actually kind of glad that my wife has no interest whatsoever in it. It's my time to be away.

i dont see why not. i used to pick some of the best shrooms in La. that grew out of grain fed cow sht.

Mykel Obvious said:
No joke... supposed to be good eatin'!!
It is! Been hunting Javelina for the better part of 40 years down in SanCarlos. Great food.

Wild

Yeah i take my spent grains to a farmer who has me add them to the feed for cows. This is what a few ethonol plants do around here with their spent grains too..

I spread mine all over the yard like fertilizer, get strange looks standing there dipping a spoon into the keg and flinging grain all over the yard

MadWeezel said:
Yeah i take my spent grains to a farmer who has me add them to the feed for cows. This is what a few ethonol plants do around here with their spent grains too..

That's exactly what the local Micro does with theirs. A farmer comes in once a week to pick it up from them. Free feed!

Ed, nice picture, BTW!

Thanks. Someday I'll get a shot of the deer standing on two legs to get to the bird feed in that bird feeder. I'd like to use my air rifle on them when they do that, but SWMBO does not mind and she is the one who fills that thing up.

Maybe I missed it, but after feeding my dogs spent grains and smelling their farts for the next day, I'm surprised nobody has talked about deer farts, or maybe deer beer farts.....

skol!

I wouldn't dare to do that with my grains. Canadian Geese are such a problem in my area that it's now a $500 fine if you're caught twice putting food on the ground. Nasty, dirty birds. They're pests.

As for you hunters - get a better hobby than something that involves ruining what would otherwise be an absolutely perfect day for a deer. If you're going to hunt them, be men about it and use a knife.

I have no interest in venison. Not when my father-in-law raises corn-fed black angus beef. Not the kind you find at the butcher shop, the kind that's only sold to steak houses.

Cheesefood said:
As for you hunters - get a better hobby than something that involves ruining what would otherwise be an absolutely perfect day for a deer. If you're going to hunt them, be men about it and use a knife.

Hey buddy, you don't know how depressed the deer up here are. Some of them even live near Edmonton!

Cheesefood said:
I wouldn't dare to do that with my grains. Canadian Geese are such a problem in my area that it's now a $500 fine if you're caught twice putting food on the ground. Nasty, dirty birds. They're pests.

I have no interest in venison. Not when my father-in-law raises corn-fed black angus beef. Not the kind you find at the butcher shop, the kind that's only sold to steak houses.

Wait I detect a double standard::p

What about the beef cattle farmers? Those cows think they are going inside to eat or to cool off. Next thing you know the walls close in aroung your head and a man with a huge knife cuts your throat ear to ear. The las thing you say is "MOOOOOOOOOOOOO!":drunk:

That is better than hunting? (rhetorical question). Besides Venison is much leaner than beef. It also makes better jerky!

- WW

For most people, they don't even know where their last steak or chicken came from (not even what state), who butchered it, what sanitary conditions were, what it's diet consisted of, etc. I know where my venison came from, what it ate...and I know the butcher real well...ME! Heck, I even know where that deer took a dump!

wilsonwj said:
What about the beef cattle farmers? Those cows think they are going inside to eat or to cool off. Next thing you know the walls close in aroung your head and a man with a huge knife cuts your throat ear to ear. The las thing you say is "MOOOOOOOOOOOOO!":drunk:

That is better than hunting? (rhetorical question). Besides Venison is much leaner than beef. It also makes better jerky!

- WW

No, they shoot a lot of them in the head these days before they're throats are slit, so they don't even notice they're dying.

I've had plenty of venison in my day. None of it even sort of compares with great beef.

I had venison once... wow... was incredible (sorry for all the Bambi lovers). I also had freshly butchered and ground cow meat (inlaws own a dairy farm).... I'll never taste another burger like that one (wife could not finish her's... she kept seeing the cows face... go figure.....).

Cheesefood said:
No, they shoot a lot of them in the head these days before they're throats are slit, so they don't even notice they're dying.

I've had plenty of venison in my day. None of it even sort of compares with great beef.

Shot? who needs fire any wepon when all you have to do is send 150k volts through your brain? can you say short circut?

come hear mr bull i'm just gonna put this pair of ear muffs on you just tell me what side the beeping sound is comming from... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP!

Well Venison is Kosher. But, like cows, they have to be killed in a very particular way. The person who kills them, called the sheckler(not sure of spelling) uses a very sharp knife. Its called a ... not sure of the spelling... a sheckle. The blade goes across the throat in a very precise location. If there is a single nick on the blade, the animal is not Kosher and is not sent to the Kosher butchers. All animals killed, with the exception of fish, are killed the same way and it is thought to be the least painless way (most humaine).

MadWeezel said:
come hear mr bull i'm just gonna put this pair of ear muffs on you just tell me what side the beeping sound is comming from... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP!
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Some of us like Lagers... others like Stouts. A good brew is a good brew, so to each his own. Same goes for steers and deer. As long as you hunt responsibly and don't harvest beyond the capacity of the land to support I don't see anything wrong with it. Here where I live deer are pests in some towns, much like Canada Geese are in some cities... Oh and geese make mighty-fine jerky too. :D

Deer sausage...Mmmmm. I don't hunt (where would I find the time?) but I love deer sausage and used to get some from an acquaintance who did. Talk about the ultimate snack to go with crackers, good cheese and a nice homebrew!

I found a place near me (Czimer's Game & Sea Foods on 159th in Homer Glen, IL) that carries some (along with alligator, pheasant, quail, bear, elk, rattlesnake and, when "The Lion King" was in theaters, lion). I try and stop by there every so often to get some!

so aren't spent grains totally devoid of nutrition?

Can't animals die of malnutrition form eating spent grains?

just curious.

There is still a lot of nutrients in spent grain, lots of fiber and protein is left over. I'd suggest google if you want the particulars, but it's got lots of good stuff left in it. I doubt animals would die of malnutrition from eating it. Hops will make some animals sick, but spent grain doesn't usually have any hops in it. Good luck

Back