FAST Cyser Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsrstka

Reaction score
Hello all,

I made a cyser on 1/3/09 with an OG of 1.090. I pitched two packets of properly re-hydrated ICV D-47 and aerated with my diffusion stone for a couple of minutes. I also tried my hand at staggered nutrient additions. I put about half of the yeast nutrient and energizer up front. Within two days it had chewed it down to 1.060. I then pulled a sample and added about 1/3 of the nutrient and aerated the sample before dumping it back in. It went crazy after that and on 1/8/09 it measured 1.003! The carboy is in an area that has been about 60-65 degrees for the entire time.

Is this too fast? I don't think I have ever had a beer ferment out that quickly much less something like a mead! Anybody else ever had something like this happen?

Thanks,
Nick

Your question is exactly why I posted some typical fermentation rate charts in the FAQ sticky. You may want to review them to get an idea of what to expect when properly rehydrating dry yeast and using a SNA protocol... ;)

I'd suggest looking at the Fall's Bounty Cyser chart. Note that its OG was somewhat higher than yours.

Your experience is similar to almost all my fermentations. I always shake my head in wonder at folks who have fermentations that drag out for weeks or months. What you experienced is the result of proper nutrition introduced at the right time. It's a myth that mead necessarily takes a long time to ferment.

Back