brew like a monk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has picked this up? i'm about halfway through the book now and i'm loving it. i'm about halfway through and learning a great deal about the beers of belgium and their history. a plus if your not looking for another recipe book! it does break the beers down into malts and and adjuncts and such but does not give specific recipes. just points you into the right direction.

Bought it, but haven't read it. Just like a lot of my other books :( Darn Internet...

I've just started to investigate Belgian beers, so I thought it would be a good book to read. Glad you are enjoying it! Now where did I put it...

-Steve

Yeah, I liked how they gave so much history. However, I would have enjoyed something in the book that just laid the recipes out for you. They're in paragraph form so when I want to find the Chimay recipe I have to dig around to find the actual ingredients. However, its a great read.

I have really enjoyed the book, Stan has a really deep knowledge of these brews and I think this book does a better job then any of the other books out there as far as getting the details into the brewer's hands.

It does not hurt that he lives about a mile from me!

He is as nice a guy as you could meet and he really has some great beer stories. It does not hurt that he also has an amazing stash of unavailable beers that he freely shares.

Like I said, he is one of the best.

I really love BLAM. A great amount of information about the inside of the walls. Mix that with Belgium Candi sugar and you have a very tasty result!

Brewpastor, do you live in brewers heaven? i should find a place between the two of you guys. i tried a sante fe seasonal at the airport in new mexico. it went well with my book!

since i've been reading the book i have been trying different belgian style beers to get a feel for when i'm ready to brew one. it's really gotton me in the mood(that's what she said).

Brewpastor, do you live in brewers heaven? i should find a place between the two of you guys. i tried a sante fe seasonal at the airport in new mexico. it went well with my book!

since i've been reading the book i have been trying different belgian style beers to get a feel for when i'm ready to brew one. it's really gotton me in the mood(that's what she said).

Yes, I do, but there is always room for more, as long as you have malt, hops or both.

I rank this book up there with Designing Great Beers, How To Brew, and New Brewing Lager Beer.

I put together a Duvel recipe in Beersmith based on the text, but haven't brewed it yet. The only things missing in the text are the mash schedule (but with a malt analysis and the knowledge of what you're trying to achieve from the malt in the end product, you can probably get close), the exact hop schedule (but I think I got close based on the clues) and how the hell Moortgat gets 93% attenuation.

Great book... highly recommended.

Love that book. It doesn't have any exact recipes, but for pretty much all of the Trappist Breweries, they have some kind of outline with the grains, hop, and yeast types used. Also great tables on breakdowns of different varieties of yeasts and hops to use and when. All the information to make great Belgian beer is there, but you need to learn it, the info is not handed to you. Give a man a fish kind of thing I guess.

Back