A gallon short...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JosR

Reaction score
Brewed my first all-grain batch last week. A 5.5-gallon proter. After mashing and sparging (good conversion) I ended up with about 7-plus gallons and boiled for 100 mins down to what I had estimated to be 6 gallons. After 7 days primary fermentation, I transferred the batch to a carboy for secondary and end up with about 4.5 gallons. My OG was 1.072. I didn't take a SG at the transfer. Should I just go with the 4.5 gallons or top it off with additional (boiled/cooled) water...or what?

Thanks

Joe

What's it taste like? If your happy with it...let it be. In the future mark your primary fermenter with a sharpie at 5 gallons. (Use water to do a test run first)

Not unless there is really something crazy going on with my batch, I do not add water to a batch after it is already fermenting. If you hit your target OG then the volume losses are just that. A loss. Just remember you have 4.5gl instead of 5.5 when you prime for bottling (if you bottle that is).

Gixxer said:
Not unless there is really something crazy going on with my batch, I do not add water to a batch after it is already fermenting. If you hit your target OG then the volume losses are just that. A loss. Just remember you have 4.5gl instead of 5.5 when you prime for bottling (if you bottle that is).

Thanks guys. My OG was within, but on the high end of the target range for the recipe. My bucket has gallon markings but I was focused on the boil volume, which I estimated with depth graduations that I had etched on to my stainless big spoon. I was worried I had too much. Possibly an error my method there. It tastes good, if a bit hoppier than I had wanted, but that's the recipe, not a volume issue.

I'm going to let it ride as is for a week then take a SG reading and bottle, if it's ready. Good point about cutting back on the priming sugar. I probably wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks

Joe

Back