Stuck Fermentation SG 1.034!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fman872

Reaction score
I have been reading these forums for some time and can almost always find the information I need has helped me so much in my brewing. This is something I could not find.

I made Midwest supply's apple ale. I have made this before with great results. This time however I could not get to the orchard that I normally go to for a gallon of fresh all natural cider. So I grabbed two half gallons at the local supermarket. It was in the refrigerated section and at the time I didn't think it had any chemicals in it. I added the cider after it warmed up two days after the boil when the airlock was bubbling. About two weeks later I checked SG and it was at 1.034 so I stirred it up and put the cover back on. Two weeks later I went to check it again and it was still at 1.034. I don't know why but I racked it to a BB. The next day I was going to the LHBS and decided to pick up a cider yeast and make a starter with brown sugar and pitch that to see if I could get it going again. Now it is still at 1.034. Also with the cold weather the temp when down to 65 but I have been able to keep it around 69-70 now.

So I think I might have used cider that had additives. Is this batch salvageable?

Steps:
6lbs pilsen LME
1lb brown sugar
1lb honey malt
1 gal apple cider
Wyeast #3766 cider

12/26- brew day pitched yeast in 4 gal wort
12/28- added 1 gal of "suspect" cider
1/14- SG 1.034 stired and covered
1/29- SG 1.034 racked to secondary
1/30- made starter with brown sugar (SG1.040) and WLP755 yeast
1/31- Pitched yeast
2/4- SG 1.034 and don't know what to do.

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to put as much info out there.

I'd have checked the label on the cider to see if any preservatives were added. that can kill it. I used to buy local cider at the store that still had some silt in it to make wines with. But it didn't have any chemicals in it.

I'd agree, it probably does have preservatives in it. You have to be very careful about the type of cider you use.

It had the silt on the bottom and when I read the label I dint think it had anything bad in it, but I guess I was wrong.

So what should I do now?

Nothing you really can do. Sounds like the cider didn't ferment, probably because there was a preservative in it (what brand is it?). Even at the lower temps you should of gotten sone fermentation after all this time. Chock this up to a learning experience. Next time read the label.

Bummer this didn't work out. I had a few friends asking about this brew.

What if I just keg it and carb it? Is it worth a shot or should it just go down the drain? I haven't had to dump a batch yet and it might bring a tear to my eye to do so.

Keep it! Pour a half pint and top it off with a dryer homebrew, or some Guinness, or whatever. You might find some awesome combo.

Back