One Barrel Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CoalCracker, what did you use over the copper tubing? Did you post instructions in the DIY section? How much copper tubing did you use? I think 25 feet, Its an interesting counter-flow chiller?

14330_4997611097251_1737329752_n.jpg

CoalCracker, what did you use over the copper tubing? Did you post instructions in the DIY section? How much copper tubing did you use? I think 25 feet, Its an interesting counter-flow chiller?

the one in the pic is mine. i used the wiki article that i believe Bobby_M wrote. i could only find 20' sections of copper so i bought a 50' section and a 50' hot water hose and made 2. traded my buddy for an oxygen flow meter for the other one.

if you can solder, you can make this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_make_a_Counter_Flow_Chiller

I can't add a second element for two reasons.

1. I don't have the proper electrical circuit.
2. My control panel can only control one at a time.

I built this system to be able todo up to 1 barrel. I will probably on average only do 15 gallon batches. It will boil and heat much faster at that volume.

I'm super happy that it was even able to get to a boil at 35 gallons. If I can jacket the bk when doing larger batches, it should get to be a more vigerous boil. I have to construct a hop spider now. 1.5lbs of hops in the boil really makes a mess

Well right when I thought I was done the brewery I come up with more ideas. So two upgrades.

1. Going to build a whirlpool into the kettle.
2. Going to place a CIP valve in the bottom of the kettle. This valve is going to be a 110v electric ball valve that will be hooked up to my secondary pump switch on the panel. Once I'm done filling fermenters, I'll open up that valve, get the trub cone outta there. Then start washing everything out. All while draining the junk out. Duda Diesel carries stainless electric ball valves for a pretty good price. I won't have to get on my hands and knees to open a manual valve under the kettle.

So.... go ahead and add a few more bucks to the final talley! :mug:

CoalCracker said:
Well right when I thought I was done the brewery I come up with more ideas. So two upgrades.

1. Going to build a whirlpool into the kettle.
2. Going to place a CIP valve in the bottom of the kettle. This valve is going to be a 110v electric ball valve that will be hooked up to my secondary pump switch on the panel. Once I'm done filling fermenters, I'll open up that valve, get the trub cone outta there. Then start washing everything out. All while draining the junk out. Duda Diesel carries stainless electric ball valves for a pretty good price. I won't have to get on my hands and knees to open a manual valve under the kettle.

So.... go ahead and add a few more bucks to the final talley! :mug:

This got me thinking. Stainless conical with racking valve and heating elements to serve as BK? Patent pending lol

Actually found some valves on eBay for a bit cheaper and larger. Going to have to go with that. Plus free shipping. Probably going to order it next week. THEN i'll have to be done spending. Good thing the finacee thinks this thing is about 1000 bucks cheaper than what it actually was. muhahah.

Not going triclover on the dump valve. Probably going to plumb it even with the frame and then term the end with a disconnect of some sort and a larger hose. I haven't quite decided yet. Part of me says just to go with the triclamps for continuity, the other half is telling me save the money.

Ordered the actuated ball valve today. I'll probably work on drilling and flaring the holes this weekend for the whirlpool and the CIP dump valve.

damn, I did some moving around in photo bucket and I guess I broke them. I'll work on getting them back up.

Edit: All the pictures should be back up.

If like to know more about your heat times. When I win the lottery I plan on building a 3v single tier setup. Did you heat all your strike water at once? How long did it take from mashout to boil? If you were considering doing 1bbl batches often, do you think you'd want to upgrade your panel for a second element in the HLT and BK?

If like to know more about your heat times. When I win the lottery I plan on building a 3v single tier setup. Did you heat all your strike water at once? How long did it take from mashout to boil? If you were considering doing 1bbl batches often, do you think you'd want to upgrade your panel for a second element in the HLT and BK?

i don't think you'll get much heat out of 3 volts unless the amps are off the chart :ban:

If I were consistently doing 1bbl batches, yea I would want something a bit more powerful. For right now though, it will work just fine for the occasional 1bbl. Once I throw some insulation on the BK, I'm sure I'll be able to get a much better boil. Plus the garage is a bit chili, i'm sure summer will bring more vigorous boils.

in a pinch you could always stick an electric charcoal starter in the BK for a little extra heat. And the residual charcoal might add a pleasant smokiness

New actuated valve and parts for the CIP

DEE98F13-241E-4EDC-8E4D-C423551D3AC8-1531-0000009C718F783D_zpse054ba55.jpg

83B100DE-B86C-4405-9195-C1760E27C850-1531-000000E1228D7D17_zps66c049fc.jpg

Hoping to finish this stuff up Saturday. I plan on doing another brew on Sunday.

CoalCracker said:
New actuated valve and parts for the CIP

Hoping to finish this stuff up Saturday. I plan on doing another brew on Sunday.

Wow that's a pretty valve!

Thanks,

I'm trying to decide how I want to wire this up. If I just want to use some MOLEX connectors or how exactly I want to do it.

I would pick up a quick disconnect for the wire and then if possible set it into the frame; run the wire through the frame and into the control panel.

I was actually going to do that initially with all of my wiring but never did. I do have some cable management around the back of the frame I will thread it through.

Bean- On a side note. Going to brew again Sunday. Gotta get the pipeline going. How'd the fermentation go on the Evil Twin?

I was actually going to do that initially with all of my wiring but never did. I do have some cable management around the back of the frame I will thread it through.

Bean- On a side note. Going to brew again Sunday. Gotta get the pipeline going. How'd the fermentation go on the Evil Twin?

I haven't been home yet to check on it, I will let you know later tonight when I am able to take a reading.

Now to figure out what to dry hop it with..

Thanks! I'll be brewing the third batch on it this weekend. So far I love it. I have an issue with the HLT element not shutting off when it's supposed to. Ordered another SSR just incase. Going to troubleshoot that this weekend before I brew.

Yup! Wanted to keep everything the same. Darren received a lot of business from me during the build. 85% of the hardware is from Brewers hardware.

Going better now man! Finaly put a batch through my system Friday night. First one in 8 months! Glad to be back "in the loop".

Back