Bayou Classic SP10 - not worth buying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmacro

Reaction score
Took 2 hours, TWO HOURS to bring 5 gallons in a 10-gallon megapot to a boil on my first attempt at brewing 5 gallons. The flames weren't very tall, barely reached the pot and couldn't be made to go higher - I tinkered with the air intake, I tinkered with the valve - nothing. THe very tip top of the out blue flame barely hit the pot; couldn't get the inner blue flame, the hottest one, to rise up. Mind you I was doing this in Florida - it's 90****ing degrees out here, the water STARTED at 95 degrees before I even lit the burner - STILL TWO HOURS. It literally rose 1 degree per minute - I measured it

Good news is, Amazon is amazing - there's a reason I always buy from them; returning it was easy, and now I'm gonna buy the Blichmann Burner - it may be 3x the cost, but hell, if it can bring 5 gallons to a boil in under an hour and lasts for years, it'll be worth it

Two things:

There must be something wrong with your burner - I used to boil with the SP10 in 30 mins from 70F.

I believe the blichmann is just a stainless version of the SQ14. The SQ14 might be cheaper.

I had this problem with mine at first - I was convinced the burner was defective. Turns out I just didn't read the directions. You need to close the little valve on the regulator all the way, then connect the hose to the tank, then open the tank valve. Then, while holding a lighter near the burner, slowly open the mini valve. Should light right up.

DEFINITELY WORTH BUYING!

There was something wrong with yours.

I go from mash temps to boiling in 10 - 15 minutes. Once at a boil I have to turn it down to about 1/4 open.

BobTheFourth said:
I had this problem with mine at first - I was convinced the burner was defective. Turns out I just didn't read the directions. You need to close the little valve on the regulator all the way, then connect the hose to the tank, then open the tank valve. Then, while holding a lighter near the burner, slowly open the mini valve. Should light right up.

+1. Had the same problem with another brand burner, used an entire 15gal propane tank to try to boil 6.5gal, this fixed it

Agreed, something was not right...

I bought my SP10 at the end of July. No problems getting 6.5-7 gallons up to mash temp (115 out of tap to 164+-) even on a low flame in 15-20 minutes. I can get from mash to boil in less than 20 minutes. Once at a boil, I have the burner barely on and get a real nice boil going. One tank lasted 4 batches.

I have too agree with everyone else. My burner has seen about 100+ batches and still running strong! Call them up and see if you can get a replacement or see whats wrong.

BobTheFourth said:

I agree with everyone else, give bobs advice a shot before writing off your burner. I started using mine for 5 gallon batches, now it's on my new brew stand heating sparge water for 10 gallon batches. Gets up to temps in under an hour.

Something just ain't right here. I have an old version with 4 round stock legs with the same burner and just bought a new one of the current version with the 3 flat stock legs. I'm considering buying a third with the $10 off $50 purchase coupon Lowes just sent me because the new design is that much better. Don't leave the outside though. The cast iron burner will rust and you really will have flame issues.

Did you check the gas regulator hose for leaks? The first one I bought had a leak, in the hose, and Amazon replaced...

The burner, tank or regulator is causing it. Try the suggestions posted above. I can take 15 gallons from room temp to boiling in about an hour.

My guess is the propane tank safety valve engaged so fuel is barely trickling out. Close regulator valve, close tank valve, remove hose, reconnect hose, open tank valve, open regulator valve, ignite. This process will reset the safety valve.

Demon said:
My guess is the propane tank safety valve engaged so fuel is barely trickling out. Close regulator valve, close tank valve, remove hose, reconnect hose, open tank valve, open regulator valve, ignite. This process will reset the safety valve.

This. Winner.

Well, I was about to chuck this thing out the window until I read this - now it sounds like a jet engine and I'm getting ready to give it another shot.

Much appreciate the help

xmacro said:
Well, I was about to chuck this thing out the window until I read this - now it sounds like a jet engine and I'm getting ready to give it another shot.

Much appreciate the help

Try this sometime. With the tank and regulator disconnected from each other turn the tank and regulator valves open and screw the regulator on to the tank. You will hear a "tinck" sound. That is the safety ball actuating. Turn the regulator off, tank off, tank on, regulator on, and you should have gas flow. It's to keep people from not checking the appliance from hooking it up and filling the backyard up with propane while the neighbor is on the patio burning a cigarette.

Edit: don't try this with an old tank without the external threads and OPD. You would be venting propane from step 1.

Latest posts

Back