Auto-siphon question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fischfam

Reaction score
For those who are using solid colored (i.e mine is white) plastic fermenters, when you siphon how do you know if you are hitting sediment without sucking it up through the hose first? When I use my glass carboy I can clearly see where to end of the auto-siphon is but with the white bucket I am just shooting blind. Last batch I could sort of see the sediment layer but was not sure until I stirred up the sediment layer. Is there any way around this?

I hold my auto-siphon on the outside of my bucket with the bottom a safe distance off the ground, say, 5 inches. I hold my finger against the siphon to mark where the top of the bucket is and then I move the siphon into the bucket to where my finger again is placed at the top of the bucket. Now I know the siphon is 5 inches (or whatever) off the bottom. By the time the beer level almost reaches the bottom of the siphon, it should be easier to see how far away from the sediment you actually are and you can reposition as necessary. Hope this helps.

Oddly enough, I've noticed that my auto-siphon does a great job of not getting any tub into it. Not sure if you have the same one but it has a little ...well I don't know what to call it... it has a "thing" on the end that seems to prevent the cake from getting sucked in. It actually rests pretty well on top of the trub and seems to suck up everything above it.

I stopped holding my siphon off the trub all together. Instead I try to keep track of how close to the bottom it gets so I don't start sucking up air.

I start half way and babysit it pushing it down a a couple inches every minute or so.. do you have the clip that holds the siphon to the bucket? Very useful tool :mug:
Edit: guess I should say when I see the bottom of the plunger I start pushing it down more..

>>Oddly enough, I've noticed that my auto-siphon does a great job of not getting any tub into it. Not sure if you have the same one but it has a little ...well I don't know what to call it... it has a "thing" on the end that seems to prevent the cake from getting sucked in. It actually rests pretty well on top of the trub and seems to suck up everything above it.

My trub is not so solid that it will prevent the auto siphon cap from penetrating. When I lower the siphon (after racking more than half of the beer) I will eventually "pierce" the trub, and the siphon end cap hits the bucket bottom. The flow of wort will stir up sediment.

What I do is pay close attention to the color of the wort being racked. Any signs of whiteness and I pull it up.
You can also help yourself by placing a wedge under one side of the bucket, causing it to rise on the other, then siphon from the deep side.

I find the clip that holds the auto siphon to the bucket to not be strong enough, so that I must hold the auto siphon with my hand, even when the clip is on.

>>Oddly enough, I've noticed that my auto-siphon does a great job of not getting any tub into it. Not sure if you have the same one but it has a little ...well I don't know what to call it... it has a "thing" on the end that seems to prevent the cake from getting sucked in. It actually rests pretty well on top of the trub and seems to suck up everything above it.

My trub is not so solid that it will prevent the auto siphon cap from penetrating. When I lower the siphon (after racking more than half of the beer) I will eventually "pierce" the trub, and the siphon end cap hits the bucket bottom. The flow of wort will stir up sediment.

What I do is pay close attention to the color of the wort being racked. Any signs of whiteness and I pull it up.
You can also help yourself by placing a wedge under one side of the bucket, causing it to rise on the other, then siphon from the deep side.

I find the clip that holds the auto siphon to the bucket to not be strong enough, so that I must hold the auto siphon with my hand, even when the clip is on.
My clip is not strong enough either. It sort of slips and you have to hold it so , yes I baby sit it and move it down every few inches or so. I was just wondering if there was a better way. I guess not. BTW, my sediment is not so solid either and will stir up the bottom. When using a clear carboy it can push it all the way to the layer an just let it rip.

jwalker1140 said:
I hold my auto-siphon on the outside of my bucket with the bottom a safe distance off the ground, say, 5 inches. I hold my finger against the siphon to mark where the top of the bucket is and then I move the siphon into the bucket to where my finger again is placed at the top of the bucket. Now I know the siphon is 5 inches (or whatever) off the bottom. By the time the beer level almost reaches the bottom of the siphon, it should be easier to see how far away from the sediment you actually are and you can reposition as necessary. Hope this helps.

^^^^ this is exactly what I do!

Back