Is my beer infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart42

Reaction score
i transfeered to carboy after 5 days and added hop sack... coue days later some whitish bubble groups have popped up on top

Probably just offgass or finishing fermentation your good.How long you dryhopping?

Nope, it's fine. Bubbles are because it's still fermenting. 5 days in is too soon to transfer to anything, in the future let it finish in primary (2 weeks at least) before transferring. When gravity has stabilized, THEN transfer and dry hop. You should be fine though, I'd give it a week, take a gravity reading, give it three more days and if the gravity is still the same you're good to bottle. Since you've already added dry hops you don't want to go TOO long, but you also want to make sure it's finished fermenting before you bottle.

was thinking about 2 weeks then racking... there is some sludge forming at bottom...prob yeast?

was thinking about 2 weeks then racking... there is some sludge forming at bottom...prob yeast?

Yep, yeast, and maybe some hop particles. 2 weeks is probably ok, maybe a *little* long for dry hopping, depending on who you ask, but probably nothing to worry about. Some say you can get grassy/off flavors from dry hopping too long but I don't think two weeks is really all that long...

heres somepics

WP_000074.jpg

WP_000075.jpg

WP_000076.jpg

Sometimes you can actually see it clear,thats a good time to bottle. Although fermentation can be done soon,sometimes waiting for it to clear is fine,not that you cant bottle once fermentation reaches its peak and finishes.Assuming everything was done well like yeast pitch and temp then you can bottle when and when the hydrometer says its done.

heres somepics

This is nothing.:mug: Ive seen som worryers but sheehs,there is nothing there to even be concerend about. Fermentation can get ugly and most the time its nothing to worry about. filmy scummy flakyn filmy white stuff may be of concern,but there is zero anything in those pics to worry about.

it seems like theres more white specs and the specks have more definition lol...

I've designed a handy test to determine if your beer is infected:

Flip a coin 100 times. If it comes up heads each and every time, then your beer is infected. Otherwise, it's fine.

the white specs have diminished almost entirely... must have been yeast rafts lol looks alot less spotty today... must be alot of co2.... it still bubble evry so often aswell

Back