Primary dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tameape44

Reaction score
I have some extra hop pellets and am interested in dry hopping my IPA. Can I just throw em in the primary after about a week and then let it sit another couple weeks in the primary?

Yeah, primary dry hopping is fine, but you probably don't need to do it for two weeks. Try one week for starters.

I am sure someone will say that dry hopping before fermentation is complete (which it might not be at 1 week) will cause the yeast and CO2 to scrub out some of the hop aroma. This is not a problem. Just add more hops. Try it the first time and take some tasting notes. If you want more dry hop character, add more next time to the same recipe.

I've done it both ways. Some people have suggested that racking into a secondary fermenter to dry hop releases more aroma/flavor than just adding to the primary.

Anymore now I rack to secondary when I wanna dry hop.

I do that all the time. But I never dryhop more than about 7-10 days at the most. I just add the dryhops about 3-7 days before packaging. The dryhops will give up their goodness in just a few days at room temperature, so there is no advantage to dryhopping for longer and you may risk some grassy flavors from a prolonged dryhopping.

Back