Any musicians out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I know several people have posted that they play an instrument, but what I'm really wondering is if any out there are working musicians. Anywhere from amatuer in a band to college music professor. I'll start with myself.

I have a regular 9-5 job but I give music lessons on the side. I teach guitar and bass lessons as well as brass instruments. I also am a part time coach for a local high school marching band and I play the tuba in a community orchestra. I'll be working on my teaching credential soon so I can dump the sucky 9-5 job. And in my spare time I compose and arrange and play bass in a band. And somewhere in there I find time to brew.

I've been playing guitar since 1971. I have a '76 Fender Telecaster Deluxe, 2 Mexi Strats, a Chinese Strat (which I upgraded the pups so now it's better than the Mexis), and an EL/AC Kamen that I purchased in '81 just to play the acoustic section of Aqualung on stage.

I was in several bands growing up and one in college (1981-3). We played in several bars in So. Jersey. One time we played (auditioned) at one bar and ended up being the house band all summer. That was cool. But I kept my day job. I retire in less than 4 years. :D

I wish I had some vintage instruments. Your tele is older than me. I have a 98 fender American jazz bass V, a mexican fretless bass, an 01'? american strat that replaced an identical but older one that was stolen, a Yamaha ac/elec and an Ovation mandolin. And my tuba is a Mirafone 186 from the early 80's. I graduated from college in 02' with a degree in music theory & composition and commercial music. Along with the credential, I'll probably start my masters in the next year or so.

HB99, You are a Senior Member..hehe..Brewwwwwhahaha.

I feel your pain Man!

Started playing guitar at age 15 , got a 1975 Yamaha Acc, a Guild DCE5 AC/Elc and a 2002 Stratocaster. Never did play pro but I slept in a Holiday Inn and I always did want to play backup with Jethro Tullor , Stevie Ray and Led Zep.

:D

Lotta those guys weren't sure who they were playing with sometimes. They were all great . I've been playing guitar for the past 20 years. Got a Squier Bullet ( Cheap assed Fender with a Telecaster neck and a Strat body) that a friend of mine is currently turning into a telecaster. He's making the body from a big slab of juniper and digging up harware here and there. My acoustic is a 1959-62 or thereabouts Silvertone. Don't laugh ! It's a copy of an old Gibson, with f-holes and everything.
Haven't toured since I had to disband Led Zeppelin. The only live playing I do now is in the shed. Helps keep me sane...kinda.

Not a professional player yet. Playing in a band for pay is certainly one of the things I would like to do one day. A guy at work, has sort of one man show here he plays/sings raunchy and funny dive songs at local watering holes. He keeps begging me to get good enough to play lead for him. I started playing electric guitar a couple of years ago. I'm not that good of a player yet. Right now, I mostly play a Squier Fat Tele (along with an Affinity Strat). I have champagne tastes, but as you can tell from me posting on this forum, I'm on a beer budget at the moment. lol Actually, the new Squiers are decent quality and are a good value. The Squier Standard Strats, for example, have Alnico pups, while real Fender MIM Strats, have ceramic. The build quality is good too.

Lounge Lizard said:
Not a professional player yet. Playing in a band for pay is certainly one of the things I would like to do one day...playing at local watering holes.

I played in bars for a couple of years. Sometimes (when reality hits) it seems that I spent more $$$ than I made.

Of course, playing for drinks does that to your memory.... :drunk:

We auditioned for a club once and ended up being the house band for the entire summer...Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. We had a bunch of bikers come in (twice) and they asked us to play at one of their rallies. Two of our guys got really paranoid (thinking they were going to get shot and such) so we turned them down. I think we would of had a real blast.

homebrewer_99 said:
I played in bars for a couple of years. Sometimes (when reality hits) it seems that I spent more $$$ than I made.

Of course, playing for drinks does that to your memory.... :drunk:

I guess that is why some people call cover bands "cover your tab bands!" lol

It would still be a lot of fun. Chicks go ga-ga over musicians.... ;)

Back