$64 Starter Kit from Midwest Homebrewing from Groupon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodgnus

Reaction score
It's on again for Father's day...

Copy & Paste the link

Code:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/midwest-hydroponic-and-homebrewing-supplies-llc-fort-lauderdale-fl?utm_source=uu440625

Its a great deal, and if you call Midwest you may be able to pay a little more and upgrade some of the components, such s getting the better capper for an extra $4, or the 1/2 Siphon instead of the 3/8.

I showed the groupon to someone at work, told them I'd pay then $15 for the $25 coupon if they dont want to continue, to help minimize their cost

This is what got me into homebrew (first batch bottled today!). It is a pretty good deal!

this is what got me started as well...first batch ready to bottle. they even included a $25 gift certificate on my next order....saving even more!

You can't upgrade or change anything in the kits, they are prepacked ready to be shipped as is.

I just received my kit yesterday. I chose the American Amber Ale kit and plan on brewing tomorrow. I am heading to the LHBS in a couple minutes to pick up a few extras and to tweak the recipe some. I am hoping to ramp up the OG a little and change out the hops to something similar to Surly Furious.

Yeah I'm getting the message that the deal is expired now, but the page says it expires in November or December.

My buddy and I each got this kit. I saw it pop up on Dealnews and we had been talking about doing some homebrew for a couple years.

Let me tell you, it's some of the most fun I've had spending $64 on in a long time. In essence, I figured it out and it's pretty much like buying the equipment and getting two sets of ingredients for free, depending on what you choose for your second batch.

Last weekend we just cracked open our first homebrews ever - the Irish Red and the Autumn Amber were both good. Have I had better? Absolutely, but these are definitely brews that I'd buy again if I bought them as random sixers at the liquor store. That was after two weeks in primary and two weeks in bottles. This weekend will be three weeks in the bottle and they are only getting better as time goes on.

We've already brewed our second batches, and we got the ingredients with the included gift certificate. He did a hefeweizen and I did a double IPA a week ago. Both are still sitting in primary, but now is when the real fun starts - get the process down with the included kits and then start brewing the beer styles that are your personal favorites.

It's actually an ingenious idea and is win-win for everyone: You get to start homebrewing and Midwest most likely gets a new customer who will most likely keep returning.

Don't be fooled though.. $64 is just the start of a wicked spiral.. As I look back over the last two months:

$50 ($25 each) - My buddy and I split a turkey fryer I found on clearance at Gander Mountain so we could do full boils outside. (Highly recommended)
$16 - 32 oz of StarSan (They include sanitizer, but everyone raves about Starsan and I agree after using both.)
$25 for two cases of empty pry off bottles
$40 in materials for a homemade 40 ft wort chiller (Highly recommended!!)
$15 for an auto siphon and some 1/2 inch tubing (Recommended to get the bigger one to start.)
$20 on yeast starter kit for the second batch
$30 on misc stuff (Extra airlocks, an extra fermentation bucket, hop bags, irish moss, etc..)

and my wife got me a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for my birthday which was ultra cool. Now that I have the carboy and the other stuff mentioned above, we're pretty much ready to get into some winemaking as well.

It's a dangerously delicious hobby!!

Yeah I'm getting the message that the deal is expired now, but the page says it expires in November or December.

They have been offering this deal for a while in different markets. If you chat with the guys at Midwest using their online chat thing you can usually get a good idea as to where to keep your eyes peeled for this deal again. My buddy and I each got our fathers one of these kits for father's day.

You can also do a search like this on Google (This is how we found it the last time..)

Midwest site:groupon.com

Type that line above into Google as your search query. Click "Advanced Search Options" on the side, then scroll all the way down and you can choose to show only results from the past week. If you do that for a few days straight, you will find an active Groupon deal for this (It usually runs for more than 1 day..)

If you're looking for this deal and it's expired, it looks like they pretty much have one going on all the time, just with different locations. All I did to find one that wasn't expired was google "site:groupon.com midwest homebrewing", you may have to pull up a few pages, but you'll eventually find one that is current.

collinsDPT said:
Just bought this today... cant wait to get brewing!

Buy an auto-siphon. Make sure they assembled the spigot correctly. Make sure they ship everything you are supposed to get.
While I was pleased with the deal, I had issues with the latter two items. And having just bottled mu first batch, my next purchase is an auto-siphon!

Buy an auto-siphon. Make sure they assembled the spigot correctly. Make sure they ship everything you are supposed to get.
While I was pleased with the deal, I had issues with the latter two items. And having just bottled mu first batch, my next purchase is an auto-siphon!

that's surprising, I've never had a problem with Midwest. But I didn't buy my starter kit through them either.

Thanks for the heads-up! I will look into an auto-siphon now.

Back