Secondary ferment, must it be two weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duvel

Reaction score
My ale was in the primary for one week. Syphoned it into the secondary (5 demijohns each with an airlock), checked the SG and it's 1.010! From a starting gravity of 1.050. Left it for a couple hours and I couldn't really see any bubbles coming through. The yeast seems to be settling quite visibly in the secondarys too, ie it's clearing up. Probably be clear by morning.

So would there be much difference if I was to leave it just for a couple days and then prime/bottle it?

Sure, you probably could. If the SG readings are steady over a three day period, you can go anytime.

But as a general rule, I always leave my ales in secondary for 14 days, minimum. I feel it helps clear and mellow the beer. It's your call

I like to leave mine in the secondary for at least 2 weeks. More depending on the type of beer. I'll lager one for a month before bottling. But, in answer to your question, it will probably be fine if you bottled it sooner. Sounds like your SG is low enough.

if your so worried about the time in the secondary, just skip it and go straight to bottling. i've never used a sacondary and i've had good beer every time

What if you go in the prime for 2 weeks? Is 2 in the second still a must? I have family coming in town who are eager to taste my pumpkin and it will be ready JUST IN TIME if 2 in the first and one in the second is OK. That'll give me a week to prime then it'll be served a tad green, but hopefully good enough to be impressive.

Cheesefood said:
What if you go in the prime for 2 weeks? Is 2 in the second still a must? I have family coming in town who are eager to taste my pumpkin and it will be ready JUST IN TIME if 2 in the first and one in the second is OK. That'll give me a week to prime then it'll be served a tad green, but hopefully good enough to be impressive.

Go for it. ;) You should be fine.

BTW... is that you sipping in your avatar?

May actually leave it for the full two weeks, or one week at the very least. It's SG was 1.010 (after correction, was 1.008 before) but for some reason, 2 days later and it's still bubbling away in the secondary. Every 5-10 secs!

I don't get it. What the hell is fermenting?? :confused: :D

well whats the general time rule for bottle conditioning? i mean for good carbonation and head to be built.

sorry.. that was in response to you, subwyking.

Many people use the "1-2-3" fermentation schedule.
- 1 week in primary
- 2 weeks in secondary
- 3 weeks in bottles

I find that my beer often has acceptable carbonation after only 2 weeks in bottles, but I try to wait for 3 weeks to pass before really cracking into the bottles.

-walker

well.. it was a little off topic, but hardly random. :)

We were disussing time needed in the secondary, and he just moved one step further and asked about bottle conditioning time.

-walker

Actually, I've done really well with one week primary, one week secondary, and one week in bottles. I've found that a second week in secondary results in poor carbonation, and I do have to wait that extra week or so for carbonation to finally develop. A third fermentation for a week works well, but slows the carbonation even further. Clarity isn't too good, but if I wanted clarity, I'd buy a BMC.

A batch of homebrew only lasts for two weeks around me and my friends, so it doesn't stay in stock to begin with.

Back