never had fermentation like this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
i already started a discussion about this. I brewed a IPA from extract kit (muntons gold)...

I used US-05 yeast.

huge krauzen formed on top of the fermenter, and I never had a single bubble in the airlock.

people told me here on the forum that it has to be a leak on the fermenter. I taped it, and made it completely leak proof!

still no bubbles....

really, not a single bubble... if I have some process that produces CO2 - where the heck is the gas???

but ok, I forgot about this...

after two weeks I checked the beer and guess what? huge krauzen is still there! after two weeks!

I have never had such a fermentation. I used us-05 many times, and krauzen used to settle in 4-5 days....

any ideas on this?

edit: now i recalculated and it's not two weeks but more than that - I pitched the yeast 17 days ago......

sometimes the piece that floats in the 3-piece airlock gets stuck open. so you'll be continuously exhausting gas but no bubbles.

sometimes the piece that floats in the 3-piece airlock gets stuck open. so you'll be continuously exhausting gas but no bubbles.

I use S shape airlock. I really had no bubbles, though I had huge krauzen. The point is not about bubbles, but krauzen that is not settling at all, I think the fu*ker is still growing :D

really, 17 days!? it's way to long....especially with US-05

ive had fermentation (ale) go on for 3-4 weeks before.

RDWHAHB.

EDIT: this also may be a sign that you've underpitched. what was the OG? and did you re-hydrate or just dump the packet. help us help you, details are crucial..

Ya I'd say who cares... as long as it does its thing let it do its thing... Those yeast know their job better then any of us do!

Theif a sample off and check the gravity on it. Sa-04 and Sa-05 leave a bubbly krausen looking "head" on the fermented wort every once and a while. If it's at the right FG I'd say rack it off. Better to do that than risk leaving it on a still yeast cake for way too long.

If all else fails, taste it. If your happy, rack away.

OG was 1.060. I used 2 lbs of table sugar to boost the ABV. I still didn't take the sample, because I don't know how to.... Do you think it is ok to skim some of the krauzen in order to reach the surface of the beer? this krauzen is probably 5 inches thick...

I didn't rehydrate - just dumped the packet in cooled wort.....

ok, today I took the sample, and it reads 1.018. It's been 18 days, krauzen is still big and no signs of settling.

I think it's stuck.

now what to do? to add more yeast? or what? just wait? or to arouse the yeast by shaking the beer a little bit?

Wait a day or two and check again. Establish if the gravity is falling or not since this sounds like the first sample that has been pulled.

the hydrometer is going to be the only thing that will actually let you know something is going on or not, regardless of the freaky krausen.

It is impossible for the yeast to not be producing gas while making alcohol. If it is fermenting, it is producing CO2. You must have a leak somewhere on your setup. I've had bungs get minute cracks in the seals, buckets not seal properly, blowoff tubes not form a tight seal, etc.

It is impossible for the yeast to not be producing gas while making alcohol. If it is fermenting, it is producing CO2. You must have a leak somewhere on your setup. I've had bungs get minute cracks in the seals, buckets not seal properly, blowoff tubes not form a tight seal, etc.

i'm telling you - I taped the lid with 2 inches wide tape. there is no leak! I sealed the airlock hole as well.

yesterday when I took the first sample I first had to skim some of krausen to reach the beer. I took the sample, and you know what - the sample acted as if it was done, fully carbonated beer. It had a head as if it was fully carbonated, or even over carbonated. so there is the gas - in the solution!

the krausen was so thick and firm, I believe it didn't let the gas out, so all of it got stuck in the solution.

I shook the fermenter, and "teared" the krauzen in small pieces - and finally my beer is bubbling!

and it is bubbling now for 24 hours.....

it fermented at constant 19C.... very, very weird...

I got one for you. Lightly push down on the bucket lid, Did the level in your airlock change? Hold it there for 10 seconds. Did it equalize? When you take your finger off, does it into a negative pressure?

Back