How Long Till I Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyH

Reaction score
I made a Porter over 2 wks ago. This past weekend I transfered it to my secondary. Fermentation seems to have stopped for now have seen a bubble for awhile, can I bottle this weekend or let it rest another week?

Start another batch of beer this weekend to take your mind off the Porter. Let the Porter sit in the secondary another 2 weeks. Fermentation is probably done (test with hydrometer: no change over 3 days = done) but, the Porter needs the time to age. Don't rush it.

I agree, a month prior to bottle will do it good. Next time use both fermentors as primaries, and keep them on the yeast cakes a month.

I'd say give it at least one more week, the longer you leave it, the better it will get. That being said, at first I rushed through my fermentations without much loss of flavors, after you bottle a couple times the tedious nature of it will make it easier and easier to wait(put it off.) I may get yelled at for this but I say hurry up and enjoy those first few ones, the patience comes naturally later.

Patience, young grasshopper. Follow the 1-month rule. Occasionally wheats can be an exception. A general rule of thumb is, the darker the beer the longer you wait. Porters can be aged for 3-4 months, depending on your patience.

Back