Oak chips soaked in white wine for a IPA???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjohnson

Reaction score
I just brewed a Amarillo IPA. 12 # 2-row, Amarillo threw out the boil. I have some light toasted oak chips and I was wondering if I should soak them in some white wine or maybe some other type of wine. I have heard of soaking in burbon or whiskey. It just sounded like this would go well with the IPA. What are your thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?

I've never heard of this so I say try it and let us know how it turns out.
:tank:

Cheers!

Just going with the idea of a wine barrel. If you aged the IPA in a white wine oak barrel. Just a thought, I saw this done in Brew mag. for the summer ale. Opel Ale I think was the beer that used the oak chips in white wine.

Sounds intriguing. The oaked IPA's I've had were good, but I'm not sure how the white wine would play in. I suppose it would make a difference on what kind of white you're dealing with as well. Savignon Blanc or Chardonnay, Riesling or Vignonet? All bring different flavours. Give it a try and let us know.

Terje

I'm betting the white wine is too subtle to make a difference if you're just soaking the chips in them. Oak is heavy, and will likely run right through any flavor you might have hoped ffor.

you know its crazy, i was going to do the same exact thing to my ipa, but with white port wine. i forgot to do this, of course and drank the bottle of port :(.

currently im aging some french oak chips in ruby porto for a wild beer ;)

Just a note that some of the compound that you may be hoping to extract from your wood chips into your beer are going into your wine. Being of a higher ABV than the beer, the wine will more efficiently strip the chips than beer.

Also, be aware that the chips degrade quickly. It is recommended that they not stay in beer longer than four weeks because any longer will result in the release of harsh tannins.

Excellent source here.

Back