no airlock action on my Quad.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
ok, so i know the air lock bubbling away isn't the only sign of active fermentation, but given the new variables (for me at least), i'm posting this anyway..

I brewed a Belgian quad (AHS Belgian Quad extract kit) last night, pitched with with Whitelabs Trapist Ale Yeast (the suggested liquid yeast for this given brew). This is my first big beer (1.090-1.100 on my hydrometer test last night), and my first use of liquid yeast.

On all my other brews i've used dry yeast, and have seen varied time until air lock action, but i was under the impression that with such a high gravity beer, and a quicker starting liquid yeast (right?) that fermentation would come out the gates blazing.

I'm just a little concerned since this brew has much more invested in it that normal brews for me. I think i'm probably over reacting, but figured a second opinion wouldn't hurt.

FWIW, this is my 5th batch. Had several with slow starts, but just didnt expect it on this one.

no, didn't do a starter, i thought about it, but then read the instructions with the kit, and on the yeast tube, and both said to pitch directly into the wort, so i did.

That's an awful big beer to pitch with no starter - even White Labs recommend a starter on anything over 1.070. I make a starter every time when using liquid yeast, without it they usually take longer to get going than using dry yeast.

Not much you can do at this point but wait, unless you have another vial to throw in there. It should get going sooner or later. Hopefully you aerated well.

well, got home from work today and it's bubbling like crazy, so looks like nothing to worry about.

BA...How is this brew going? what was your gravity reading when you racked it to your secondary (assuming you did)

Back