Anyone Try the new Weinhards Kolsch Summer ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On my way home from work yesterday and while at the store I noticed Henry Weinhards has a new summer ale, it's a Kolsch style beer.

I opened one last night, and it wasn't too bad. Kind of devoid of flavor but that was the first Kolsch I'd ever had so I'm not sure how close to a good Kolsch it is. I had also just finished a cinder cone red from Deschutes.

Never heard of the brewery. Where are they located?

I think it's funny when breweries call Koelsch a summer seasonal. In Cologne, it's a year-round beer. Consumption probably peaks in February during the Karneval festivities. I'll drink it any time of the year, for sure :)

Yeah, Weinhards is an old Portland label from right near the end of the Oregon Trail days (~1862). Got bought out, production moved to Hood River (actually made at the Full Sail brewery now).

They make primarily light beers. My bride really drinks the $hit out of their "Blue Boar Pale Ale", and has asked me to clone it for her. I think Biermuncher's Centennial Ale might be the ticket, I gotta try that real soon.

I haven't yet picked up the Weinhards Kolsch, I will do so this weekend, as I'm working to nail down the style for my attempt. I just finished reading the chapter on Kolsch/Alts in "Designing Great Beers", and I feel the need to give one a try. My temp control for the kegerator/lagering fridge arrived today from BMW, and Kolsches typically ferment at 55-60. Next week!

Yeah, their root beer is probably their best product! It's very close to the Platonic Ideal of root beers (but that title is currently held by the Alameda Brewhouse's "Grandma Mary's Root Beer").

Back