Siemens Logo! PLC modules needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

I'm in the need for a LOGO! AM2 MODUL PT100/1000 type 6ED1055-1MD00-0BA1, for the 200 liters 3 vessel RIMS I'm building.

If some of you have one used, I'll like to buy it.

BTW: I also need then GUI for the PLC which my friend, who is programming the PLC recomends we do in Schneider IGSS:
http://igss.schneider-electric.com/products/igss/index.aspx

We don't have clue in using Schneider IGSS, so if you have some advice or a template we could build on, I'll i be really thankful.

We need a display for temperature and volumes for 1 BK, 1 MT, 1 HLT, and 3 fermenters.

Looking forward to hear from you.

I'll post pictures and parts list when I'm done.

Thanks

Lars

I'm not familiar with the logo, but my understanding is it is one of the most basic PLC's. It has a slow scan rate, which isn't a big deal in your case, but it is suppose to be a budget plc, which in turn causes some issues.

They are not huge here in the states, so most likely no one will have any cards for it, especially a specialty analog card for your PT100/1000. Also as I understand there is no "SCADA" style communication for a GUI. The IGSS you listed shows that the LOGO isn't supported, also shows there is no computer to logo communication. The LOGO acts just a slave unit. They have communication modules that have the capability of virtual inputs and outputs.

It just seems this is going to be difficult. Does your friend have experience with the LOGO?

To add above, it looks like WinCC flexible will work as your HMI(GUI).

There is no telling on what the license cost would be for that. Are you stuck on siemens? I may offer some opinions on cheaper products that will work with free open source HMI solutions.

EDIT::: Looking into it even more, if you can get IGSS to work, you are looking at a 980 Euro development single user license.

I would assume you chose IGSS because of the "free 50" option. Depending on what Logo model you have, you may be able to use the S7 comm driver to communicate with IGSS but

I took a similar approach but went with a Koyo Click PLC and communcate with IGSS using modbus RTU. My build is in process, but I have some temp sensors, relays, switches, etc wired to do some initial testing while I accumulate the rest of my parts. I would say that IGSS isn't the most intuitive software package out there, but if you've worked with other HMI's then you should be able to hack your way through it. Theres a quick start guide that should get you communicating.

On the other hand, I had low expectations for the Click but I have been very impressed with its performance. I've written the code for my 2 brew pot setup and it runs fine at a fixed 40ms scan rate (overkill for brewin :) The programming software is free and easy to code. Only limitation is the lack of analog I/O. The main module has 2 AI & 2 AO and there are no expansion modules. But for the price, I can't complain. Also there are no built in PID blocks, but with a little creativity you can implement PID control, filtering, etc...

I also think you'll have a tough time finding the RTD module for the LOGO. Searching ebay might be your best bet. My old system used both a Siemens LOGO and an Allen-Bradley PICO for control. I ended up cutting a hole in my panel and covering it with lexan to enable seeing the built in displays on those units. I've since switched to the Siemens S7-200 series of PLCs. I actually won the main PLC, programming software, and programming cable at a vendor drawing. I've since found DC, RTD, and thermocouple expansion modules on ebay for decent prices. Many options for an HMI, but I ended up with an old OP7 (4 line text based unit).

I'm not familiar with the Schneider IGSS package--must be more popular in Europe.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

The situation is that i got the plc and the programming from a friend, which is great. so I'm not stuck, but i really want to keep the costs down...

Ón top of that it manage a 5 step temperature mash, in time, and within 0.3 degree Celcious, so that's perfekt.

The Schneider IGSS comunicate with no problem with the plc, so that's not an issue.

Yes, the 50 spots free is a very contributing factor in choosing the Schneider.

I'll look into the other plc's you mention and the WinCC but i sounds expensive.

Thank you.

Happy Brewing

Lars

Hei Hr. Larsen. How did you connect your logo to IGSS?
- Used driver 72? S7-TCP/IP?
- S7-200 el. S7 300/500 ?
- Which port??
- What type of Logo? (etc. 0BA7 or 0BA8?)

Stekrog

sorry for my late reply, i saw your post, and forgot it again......

It,s my friend Rasmus, that is the one with the aswers.

I'll get back to you..

Sten Krog, sounds Danish. If you're in the Copenhagen are, ore elsewere in DK, you are always wellcome to drop by..

/lars

Back