Hose sizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malador

Reaction score
Will a March AC-5B-MD pump have trouble using 1/2'' I.d. lines? I ask because I already have have 1/2" lines for my set-up, and have a AC-5B on the way. I know smaller lines will reduce performance, but i'm worried about priming and what-not.

http://www.marchpump.com/ac-5b-md/

1/2" outlet

1" inlet

There is a thread here someplace where the march dude doesnt recommend downsizing the line. It will work but you'll be starving that pump. I have a brand new one sitting on the shelf and then purchased 2 809's when i realized switching everything over to 1" ( tc's on evrything) is a project I'm not going to do on my keggles, the 809 is plenty for those batches. I will use it when I upgrade to larger vessels.

I knew that was probably the case, but i was hoping it wasn't. I guess it's time upgrade some lines then. In the mean time, i'll see if can run the pump at half speed and see that works ok.

It won't be too much an issue. Just make sure your inlet is not restricted. I use a lg 5 series pump, basically the same size as your march ( 1" inlet 1/2" outlet) and I don't have an issue. Just don't restrict it right at the inlet with a reducing bushing. I used a 1" to 3/4" elbow and then a 3/4 to 1/2" adapter with a camlock.

It won't be too much an issue. Just make sure your inlet is not restricted. I use a lg 5 series pump, basically the same size as your march ( 1" inlet 1/2" outlet) and I don't have an issue. Just don't restrict it right at the inlet with a reducing bushing. I used a 1" to 3/4" elbow and then a 3/4 to 1/2" adapter with a camlock.

Do you remember where you got the 3/4" to 1" elbow? They are not stocked at the local hardware store, and i'm having trouble finding them online. *edit* in 1" male to 3/4'" female

I used a brass one. Stainless might not be able to find. My grandfather was a plumber so I looked though some buckets of old fittings. Maybe a good plumbing supply would have?

Latest posts

Back