American Sanke Keg Fermenter Kit with Thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used them for several batches before having a modified version assembled locally for me to use. I have gas posts installed on the sanke kegs, so I only need the thermowell and a liquid post/fitting on the cap. I use a custom cut (by me) dip tube to extract the finished beer from the fermenter.

Anyone have any luck with these? I have an extra snake keg I was thinking of converting. I'm sure this has been discussed before so if there is another thread you'd like to point me to please feel free. Thanks!

http://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit-with-Thermowell.html

Rick

I just noticed this. I have two of these. They freaking rule. Cleaning the keg is kind of a b*tch but it rules fermenting all in one spot (instead of 2 5G buckets).

I modded mine a tiny bit and made it so I pump CO2 into the blow off tube port, then I attached tubing to the dip tube and have a corny keg quick connect on the other side. So I push CO2 into the sanke keg when done with fermentation, and the beer flows out into the corny keg through the out post, slides down the keg's dip tube so as too prevent too much oxygenation, and BOOM! I can ferment the beer all in one spot and even fill corny kegs without ever having to open the fermentation chamber at any point (unless I dry hop of course). Its great.

I did the 'tweak' to use the corny dip tube on mine too. Except it tended to leak when using it that way. Threads are not exactly the same, so it doesn't work as well as it should. Because of the issues, and not needing the fitting for the dip tube AND the blow-off fitting, I decided to design my own fermenter caps. I still have a thermowell in them, but have it fitted with a ball lock liquid post (fitting under it welded into the cap, as is the thermowell). I then fitted my sanke kegs with gas posts to make putting CO2 into them easier.

I picked up another pair of 1/6 bbl sanke kegs earlier this week from my supplier (legit, decommissioned kegs from a recycle center the breweries and distributors use). I'll be installing the gas post into those pretty soon.

Golddiggie, that sounds rad... Any chance you could post some pics? I've had similar ambitions of fitting corny posts to a hdpe barrel fermenter. I'd love to see how you did the execution.

Golddiggie, that sounds rad... Any chance you could post some pics? I've had similar ambitions of fitting corny posts to a hdpe barrel fermenter. I'd love to see how you did the execution.

Have them in my gallery... :D

2012-03-17_10-53-30_622-53934.jpg

2012-03-17_10-54-58_721-53935.jpg

2012-03-17_10-56-06_373-53936.jpg

Got a new drill press last week (sweet deal on one) which I hope will allow me to both drill the TC caps, and ream out the fittings to send the liquid dip tube through. IF I can do that all myself, then I can assemble them as needed (welding with silver solder). I want to make a few more for myself this way, and then if anyone is interested... :D

Need to see if I can drill the stainless with the tooling I have on hand. I've been concentrating on resolving some other issues so this has been on the back burner. I've also redesigned these so that everything is on the cap (no modification needed to the keg). It's a very tight fit on the cap, so placement is rather critical. I have a jig to hold the caps in a vise, at least, now.

I'm also going to finish the item that will work with carboys. That's made from HDPE, so safe for use.

Looking into making the keg caps from aluminum as well. Those would be anodized in order to render them safe for use. I have my home anodizing setup online and tested (with correct results).

Have them in my gallery... :D

2012-03-17_10-53-30_622-53934.jpg

2012-03-17_10-54-58_721-53935.jpg

2012-03-17_10-56-06_373-53936.jpg

Got a new drill press last week (sweet deal on one) which I hope will allow me to both drill the TC caps, and ream out the fittings to send the liquid dip tube through. IF I can do that all myself, then I can assemble them as needed (welding with silver solder). I want to make a few more for myself this way, and then if anyone is interested... :D
Golddiggie, can i ask where you sourced the fittings for the posts?

But you won't tell???

I've sourced from different places. Some of the kegging supply stores have them (or can get them in). I got my latest set from the LHBS about 10 minutes from me. Check around to see if your LHBS has them or not. Then start looking at the online vendors.

Chico Company has the weld on threading for ball lock keg posts. Been meaning to add a couple to a 2" tc dust cap I have to see if I can improve on the sanke fermenter setup I have.

I modded mine a tiny bit and made it so I pump CO2 into the blow off tube port, then I attached tubing to the dip tube and have a corny keg quick connect on the other side. So I push CO2 into the sanke keg when done with fermentation, and the beer flows out into the corny keg through the out post, slides down the keg's dip tube so as too prevent too much oxygenation, and BOOM! I can ferment the beer all in one spot and even fill corny kegs without ever having to open the fermentation chamber at any point (unless I dry hop of course). Its great.

I also do the CO2 transfers... its an awesome technique

Also now I use it on the 13 gallon Euro/Guinness kegs with an adapter I designed and printed on my 3D printer.... works great!! I have less head space for a 10G ferments... not to mention the 13g keg is far easier to move around!!

Back