yeast reccomendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I am planning to brew the following recipe:

Extracts:
3 lbs Amber Extract
6 lbs Amber Extract

Grains:
1/2 lb Cara-Pils
1/2 lb Crystal
1/4 lb Roasted

hops:
1 oz Willamette Hop Pellets
1 oz. Kent Golding hop Pellets
1 oz Cascade Hop Pellets
1 oz Hallertau Hop Pellets

Can you reccomend a Wyeast smack pack that will go well with this?

i recommend dry yeast: s-04, as this seems to be an english-style brew. dry is much cheaper and does not require a starter. same quality.

if you must have a wyeast smack-er, id suggest wyeast 1099 whitbread ale. its the same strain in liquid form

i recommend dry yeast: s-04, as this seems to be an english-style brew. dry is much cheaper and does not require a starter. same quality.

I was going to say the same thing. I am wondering about the timing on the hop additions though. US-05 might be good too.

That is easy, I am a little surprised at the response though. I am a noobie and I thought the liquid yeasts were supposed to be "better". I do have some US-05 already.

"Most" of the difference is in variety available. If I am brewing a high gravity Belgian Style, I am going to want to use a Belgian style yeast, can't really find a decent one in dry. I also make starters and wash some of my yeast, though lately I have been splitting vials, so I have a 1st generation culture to propagate out.

What about Wyeast 1084? How do you think that would work?

My gut feeling is that, depending on your hop schedule, your hops will overwhelm anything the yeast might add.

I rarely use liquid yeast. It is more expensive and while a yeast starter isn't tough to make, it is an extra step. Liquid yeast isn't better. It has more varieties. If a yeast has a dry equivalent, I always use the dry.

What about Wyeast 1084? How do you think that would work?

It would work fine, and if you want to experiment, by all means I think you should. A Dry yeast would work fine, or a liquid. If you use liquid you are far behind in cultures than you are with dry packs, so I would highly recommend a starter.

EDIT: I agree with the above poster though, with as many hops as you are using, most of your flavor profile is going to come from your hops. Yeast is of perhaps not primary concern when it comes to flavor profile with this particular brew. It would make a difference surely, but I do think the hops will be most obvious to the palate.

I am planning to brew the following recipe:

Extracts:
3 lbs Amber Extract
6 lbs Amber Extract

Grains:
1/2 lb Cara-Pils
1/2 lb Crystal
1/4 lb Roasted

hops:
1 oz Willamette Hop Pellets
1 oz. Kent Golding hop Pellets
1 oz Cascade Hop Pellets
1 oz Hallertau Hop Pellets

Can you reccomend a Wyeast smack pack that will go well with this?

Style wise, what are you after? Which crystal are you using? The Saf Ale is a great dry yeast....One of my favorites. I've brewed high scoring beers with it. If you are dead set on Wyeast, the 1098 will give it an English character. You could do something different and make it Belgian.

Why all the hate on liquid yeast products for hoppy beers? The recipe looks something like it would turn out an American Brown, or Hopped up English Brown ale. If you want to go for a cleaner and drier beer, American Ale II, Wyeast 1272 would probably fit the bill. I think Wyeast 1968 London ESB could also be delicious in this brew, leaving a bit of a fruitier, and maltier profile to balance out the hops.

Sure, any of the dry yeasts will get the job done and leave you with good beer, but choosing the right yeast strain can be the difference between having a beer that is just good, and one that is great.

dry yeast can make great beer especially today. 20-30 years ago it wasn't as as good as what the good liquid labs were putting out but that's not true anymore.

A lot of the mystique about liquid being better comes from the love of the process and peoples inner mad scientist.

Style wise, what are you after? Which crystal are you using? The Saf Ale is a great dry yeast....One of my favorites. I've brewed high scoring beers with it. If you are dead set on Wyeast, the 1098 will give it an English character. You could do something different and make it Belgian.

That is the thing, I am not 100% sure what I am after if that makes sense. I bought this kit and it came with a US-05 packet. I wanted to try to use a liquid yeast (being a noobie, I always have used the dry yeast packet in the kit). I was looking for a recommendation about a liquid that might improve the recipe.

Thanks to the other posts so far. They are some interesting points for me to consider.

I thought liquid yeasts produce a more complex taste profile? According to one award winning brewer i spoke with, he used to brew with dry but said the liquid gave more character to the brew. I started using the dry and my last batch and my upcoming batch i have used/will use liquid. Since i haven't made the same brew twice idk if there is a difference in "taste complexity" though.

Why all the hate on liquid yeast products for hoppy beers? The recipe looks something like it would turn out an American Brown, or Hopped up English Brown ale. If you want to go for a cleaner and drier beer, American Ale II, Wyeast 1272 would probably fit the bill. I think Wyeast 1968 London ESB could also be delicious in this brew, leaving a bit of a fruitier, and maltier profile to balance out the hops.

Sure, any of the dry yeasts will get the job done and leave you with good beer, but choosing the right yeast strain can be the difference between having a beer that is just good, and one that is great.

It isn't hate for liquid yeast. It is more that liquid yeast is unnecessary in most cases. This post is probably the best way to explain Dry vs Liquid yeast. Outside of a Weiss or Belgian beer I would just use dry yeast.

I just finished this brew. I ended up with the Wyeast 1084. The package says that the yeast is good for up to 1.060 and that more yeast might be required for higher gravity. My predicted SG is about 1.077. Do I need a second pack of yeast or will one be enough?

Go to Mrmalty.com and use the pitching rate calculator. I'm sure you'll need more than one. I never use more than one pack or vial, I just make a starter to build it up about 2 days earlier for the same effect. Even with weaker beers, I'll often make a starter, pitch most of it and add some fresh wort back to my starter. Ferment it and store it a couple weeks in the fridge for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back