Most aggressive yeast strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
What is the most aggressive yeast you've ever used? For me it would have to be the Nottingham yeast I pitched 2 days ago. I have never witnessed fermentation like this before. The beer was a 1.075 og. I have used so many other strains, liquid and dry but Damn, this stuff is great. On the downside i have easily lost 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon through the blow off tube. One last question, how quick do you think this beer could finish up? I started two days ago and get married on the 26th of this month. Is it possible? I will force carb the day before.

I have to agree with wlp099, the other is westmalle/3787/wlp530. I have sprayed the ceiling with that one.

I think i would carb a couple days erlyer if at all possible
Fresh co2 is not always the best

Possible yes but I think your pushing it

petrostar said:
... One last question, how quick do you think this beer could finish up? I started two days ago and get married on the 26th of this month. Is it possible? I will force carb the day before.

I think the beer drinkers planning to attend the wedding will understand if you have to reschedule the event by a week or so in order to let your brew finish it.

Rcole said:
I think the beer drinkers planning to attend the wedding will understand if you have to reschedule the event by a week or so in order to let your brew finish it.

Ahahahahahah! AWESOME line! Off to tour breweries in Seattle for my Batchelor party fellas. Wish me luck! I agree about the young co2 flavor also.

It'll be hard to get a good amount of CO2 in suspension with just one night of force carbing. If it were me, I'd rack it to a corny around 3-5 days prior. The worst that could happen is you'll have your first experience with pressureized fermentation. Biermuncher on here has some pretty in depth posts about it. Anyway, I'd rather have a well carbed green beer than a flat/over-carbed green beer.

Depends on the type of beer, in my opinion. Anything lighter than, let's say, a darker Porter (35 SRM or so) can easily go from grain to keg in less than 2 weeks without tasting too "green," especially with a mad yeast like Notty. If you brewed yesterday (11/11), you will likely be to your target FG within 4 days using Notty (11/15), at which point you can keg and start carbonating/conditioning. Let it sit for a week (11/22) to let crap settle out, pour off the first dirty pint, then taste the next. I'm willing to bet you'll be rather pleased with the results... I am every time ;)

Yup Nottingham is aggressive, flocs well and leaves a light esters profile....IF you get a good packet of it.

That said, it's a hell of a yeast, just need to watch fermentation temps as it wants to get ahead of itself. But I'd say carb that beer earlier than one day before, maybe 3-5 at least. Nottingham seems to not leave a green taste in beer from the times I've used it. I used on NB Nut Brown kit and kegged/carbed it inside of 2 weeks.... Tasted really great early but of course did get better as the leg sat, as most beers do.

1+ wyeat 3787. Brewed a tripel recently. When i slept it was like there was a monster in my closet.

underground and under the influence

Wow this yeast is great. Stopped at 1.007. I made a pumpkin porter. It's been carbing for a few days now and tastes great. It's probably the dryest beer i've ever brewed which goes well with this beer. Nottingham yeast is BEAST!

I don't know what you did different but I pitched a pale ale on a whole yeast cake from Nottingham and had too much water in my kettle so the fermenter bucket was nearly to the top. I had no beer loss an didn't use a blowoff either, just a simple airlock.

I did wait until the wort was about 75 degrees to pitch and then put it in a room with a temperature of 62 degrees. 5 days later it was still bubbling slowly and the room temperature was slowly creeping up to about 65. This is day 6 and I plan to bring it into a 72 degree environment for the next week, dry hop for a week and then bottle.

I would have to agree with the 3711 posts until I made a starter last night with Wyeast 3726 to use in brewing the Saison De Noel. It was at 79 degrees, off in minutes and had a 1 + 1/4 inch top foam within an hour!

You could drink it in 2 weeks in bottles. It will ferment in 4 days but I wait at least a week to bottle. I have had my sample bottle in 1 week after bottling. Tastes good.
Yes, Nottingham Yeast is great.

S-04 is kind of a beast too. Finishes up in a hurry and drops clear fast.

+1

I pitched a pack of S-04 two days ago, four hours later it had taken off, 12 hours later it had filled the 4 inches of headspace in my bucket with krausen, 36 hours after pitching it had dropped clear and krausen is gone.

Holy crappers...

I've used 3711 in 3 beers so far and apparent attenuation has been over 85% on all of them. It is wicked.

WLP 007, it's a beast if you are looking for something to start fast and clear fast and leave a neutral taste.

Wyeast labs scottish ale yeast just took a 1.075 beer down to 1.014 in about 36 hours at 64f. The krausen showed up after 3 hours, took up about 2.5 gallons of bucket space and was gone in 24 hours. This is my new favorite yeast!

Seabass, that's good to know about the Wyeast Scottish. If I would have used that in a carboy instead of a bucket I would have lost a significant amount of brew! Thanks for the info.

Wyeast 3725-PC Bier de Garde Yeast was the craziest yeast I have used.

It was insane, 88% AA. Finished in only a couple of days from 1.084! I cant remember if I used a starter or not, but if I did it was only a 1 day, 1 liter.

Info:

Wyeast 3725-PC Bier de Garde Yeast
Beer Styles: Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Profile: Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation low
Attenuation 74-79%
Temp. Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)

I made a starter with Nottingham this afternoon, hoping to brew tomarrow. Wasn't sure how quick it would take off. Within an hour I had activity in the lock. And in two hours it was chugging right along. Probably the quickest start I have had to date.

I will brew tomarrow and hope it is finished and ready to go to secondary Friday or Satuday. Let it settle out in secondary for about 10 to 12 days with Polyclar.Then keg and carbonate for a week or so and be drinking it by Christmas Day!

Thanks for this thread.....:mug:

Wyeast labs scottish ale yeast just took a 1.075 beer down to 1.014 in about 36 hours at 64f. The krausen showed up after 3 hours, took up about 2.5 gallons of bucket space and was gone in 24 hours. This is my new favorite yeast!
Just did my xmas stout (1.085) with a cake of Scottish Ale yeast, hit my predicted 1.020 in 2 days, and has one of the smallest krausen rings I've ever seen. 5.5 gallons into a 6.5 gallon bucket with no mess on the lid either. Really loving this yeast. Tasted my first sample of the Scottish Ale I started the cake with the other night and it is clean as hell. Ferments beautifully at 55 degrees. So yeah, it's quickly becoming my favorite yeast too.

What's your idea of aggressive? Fast ferments, high attenuation, alcohol tolerance?
In that order, i'd vote: Nottingham, 3711, WLP099.

scottland said:
What's your idea of aggressive? Fast ferments, high attenuation, alcohol tolerance?
In that order, i'd vote: Nottingham, 3711, WLP099.

Yes all of those. Great attenuation and quick fermentation. It ended at about 9.4 abv which is pretty great for the time frame.

What is the most aggressive yeast you've ever used? For me it would have to be the Nottingham yeast I pitched 2 days ago. I have never witnessed fermentation like this before. The beer was a 1.075 og. I have used so many other strains, liquid and dry but Damn, this stuff is great. On the downside i have easily lost 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon through the blow off tube. One last question, how quick do you think this beer could finish up? I started two days ago and get married on the 26th of this month. Is it possible? I will force carb the day before.

Hello.
Old thread, new angle, and now for something completely different...

I am not a home brewer, my question has to do with agricultural purposes, not consumable beverages.
I would like to find or get a yeast that can feed on Algae - again, for agricultural purposes.
The problem is that although yeast has plenty of potential sugar(s), the yeast must be broken down for those sugars to be available to the yeast.

I thought that maybe a very aggressive yeast might be able to feed on live algae if at all possible.
My search brought me to this thread, mentions of certain yeast strains that can "chew through anything".

The specific project is to have two containers, one breeding Yeast, the other breeding algae.
The Yeast gives off CO2, and with sunlight and supply of water, Algae will thrive on this.
A surplus of Algae would result, and overflow into the Yeast. The Yeast would feed on the Algae, thus a perpetual cycle as long as sunlight and water were supplied and proper temperature maintained, and if at all possible, a surplus of CO2 which could be used for boosting the growth of seedlings. In effect, a perpetual CO2 supply requiring very little maintenance.
Mostly a curiosity science project, but may have practical potential.

So...
Is there any strain of Yeast so vicious that it could chew through and feed on live algae???
Thank you.

Yeast eats sugar (and not all sugar) so off the top of my head I would say: no there is not a yeast that can eat algae unless algae is mostly sugar. If all you want is CO2 why not just grow yeast and feed it sugar? What does the algae do for you?

I've used a ton of yeast and the most recent, WLP007 had the strongest, quickest fermentation I have ever witnessed.

Is there any strain of Yeast so vicious that it could chew through and feed on live algae???
Thank you.

Brewers usually use Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which can only consume simple sugars like glucose and fructose. Every once in a while, we play with Brettanomyces, which can handle some more complex sugars like dextrose as well, but Brett is very slow and still doesn't have the enzymes needed to break down algae.

In order to turn algae into alcohol, you would need something to break down the algae into consumable sugars. There are some fungi and bacteria that can do this so you'd have to create a colony - more like kombucha than beer.

Kveik if you can drive fermentation temperature high enough. You could easily go grain to glass for a 1.050 or less beer in five to seven day if you force carbonate. You need to drive temperature to 85-100F for this. Do this, and F.G. could be reached in less than 80 hours.

I am still hopefully searching for ideas and information about my odd inquiry.
I want to know if there is any strain that could feed on Algae, alive or dead.
I know that yeasts do not necessarily have to be kept at higher temperatures to live, at least that is what I have seen in my own experiments.
Presently, my question is: If yeast can feed on hard grains, why can't they feed on something soft, like algae?
Would it make a difference whether the algae was alive or dead? Maybe yeasts can feed on dead algae, which would work even better for me.

The purposes for this:
Algae only need water (Circulated or with enough C02 fed to it) and sunlight.
If Yeasts can feed on live or dead algae, the C02 the yeasts produce can be fed back into the yeasts to accentuate their growth.
This leads to these purposes:
#1: I can have an essentially perpetual supply of C02 that can be siphoned off to boost seedlings or food plants.
#2: I may be able to produce limited amounts of alcohol for fuel.
#3: Possibly both simultaneously.

I would appreciate any helpful input and information regarding this concept.
Thank you.

I would suggest growing the yeast along with algae with a continual injection of sugar as to keep the CO2 production/fermentation active, rather than using the algae as a food source for the yeast. Cool idea, good luck. Yeast are incredibly resilient, and a good candidate for something like this. Let us know what you find out (non-confidential).

Brewers usually use Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which can only consume simple sugars like glucose and fructose. Every once in a while, we play with Brettanomyces, which can handle some more complex sugars like dextrose as well, but Brett is very slow and still doesn't have the enzymes needed to break down algae.

In order to turn algae into alcohol, you would need something to break down the algae into consumable sugars. There are some fungi and bacteria that can do this so you'd have to create a colony - more like kombucha than beer.
Ummmmm, glucose and dextrose are the same thing. Brewers yeast encompasses strains of Saccaromyces cerevisiae that are capable of utilizing simple sugars as well as maltose and maltotriose in many cases. Wine yeasts are the same species but the vast majority lack the ability to utilize maltose or maltotriose.

As for the original question: Voss above 90F can ferment out a solid DIPA in under 48 hours. Just be prepared for a violent fermentation.

Back