British Brown Ale "Old Bog Road" Brown Ale (Pm or Extract w/grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
20 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 day @ 66
Note, this can be done either as a Partial Mash or an extract with special grains, as the vistory can be either mashed or steeped.

For partial mashes, I use an unmodified cooler with a wire folding steamer in the bottom and a large grainbag affixed with a rubber band. The steamer lifts the grainbag above the level of the spigot and helps prevent stuck sparges.

Basic Info (What the recipe should be, not what I got when I made it the first time (Numbers according to beercalculus.)

O.G. 1.072 (1.064 to 1.075)
F.G. 1.019 (1.017 to 1.021)
25? SRM (Brown to Dark Brown)
35.2 IBU
7.1% A.B.V.

Extract w/grains.
6# Light DME
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
1oz Cascade 6.3% AAU (@60)
.25oz Galena 13.4% AAU (@60) (Can use warrior, nugget or any high AA substitute depending on availability)
.5oz Fuggles 4% AAU (@20)
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

Partial Mash in a 2 gallon cooler (4.25lbs. grains)
5lbs, 6oz Light DME
1lb 2-row
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
.25oz Galena 13.4% AAU (@60) (Can use warrior, nugget or any high AA substitute depending on availability)
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

Partial Mash in a 3 gallon cooler (6lbs. grains)
4.25lbs Light DME
2.75lbs 2-row
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

Partial Mash in a 5 gallon cooler

4lbs 2-row
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
Add;
3lbs Light DME
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

Mash for 90 minutes @ 155 degrees (Heated the water to 170 and added to 69 degree grain) with 1.25 quarts of water/pound of grain. Batch sparge with 2 gallons. Add DME as you normally would.

All Grain Version
9lbs, 6oz 2-Row
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

You could use any clean ale yeast for this, but you'll get a crisper character with Irish Ale yest, of course.

Enjoy :mug:

Update 10-22-08 I added a half pound of carapils/dextrine to each of the original grain bills, for a bit more head retention. That was the one percieved "flaw" mentioned in both contests I entered it into this year, the lack of much of a head....I also added a pound of rauchmalt which though not overwhelmingly smoky, had some depth, but it is optional...I also racked have the batch onto a fistful of Jack Daniels Oak Smoking Chips, that I had soaked for two weeks in a pint of Jack to sanitize...it came out fantastic..It took about 8 weeks to mellow the oak, but it came out nice...I have set aside a six pack to enter into contests this summer....If I had known that Sam Adam's Longshot rquired 4 bottles, I would have stuck a few more aside..As it is, I plan to brew another batch in time for next year's longshot...

Oldbogroadlabel1_copy.jpg

I've got the extract version bubbling away. I'm looking forward to it.

Cool, hope you like it.:mug:

I brewed a version of this this weekend with a pound of smoked Rauch malt added in for a bit of smoky-complexity, without hopefully being too over powering. What I plan on doing is to rack half the batch into a 3 gallon secondary over bourbon soaked oak chips. It should be interesting to see what happens.

I'm doing this right now, but with Centennial instead of Galena (about .3 oz).

Hope it turns out well!

My LHBS does not carry special roast. I was hoping to brew this recipe this weekend following the extract recipe. Wondering if there are recommendations for special roast substitutions.

My LHBS does not carry special roast. I was hoping to brew this recipe this weekend following the extract recipe. Wondering if there are recommendations for special roast substitutions.

No there is no direct substitution for Special Roast....you could try "Special B" perhaps...it won't be the same, but it might be better....

or there was a thread on here from waayyy back that said the A mix of Victory & C120L would get close. You could up the Vistory by another half pound and add a half pound of c-120...

Either one you chose will be a nice beer, I bet...

Please post back here how it turns out.

Thanks for considering my recipe!

:mug:

One last question. I'm brewing this with out the special roast, but my question is about the secondary fermentation. I know secondary is controversial, but is it necessary or can I primary for 4 weeks.

I'm tasting a sample 3 weeks after brewing. It's almost done carbonating in the bottle, and it tastes fantastic! The dextrin malt helps a great deal with head retention. I'll update when it's done aging. Thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely do it again.

This came out quite well for me. Not too malty..a very easy drinker. Had too many new year's eve, in fact.

This is very tasty. I made the extract version, and it reaches maturity at about 10-12 weeks after bottling. Biscuit with a hint of chocolate and the hop bitterness in the background.

Now that I switched to all grain, I'll have to try this again next year.

Looks like a great recipe. Should be good for the impending winter nites. I am getting started on my winter brews, and will definetly add this to my list.

Why did ya call it, Old Bog Road?

Why did ya call it, Old Bog Road?

I was dating an irish woman at the time I came up with the recipe. And it kid of reminds me of Bog roads in Ireland. especially with the small amount of smoked malt it in.

The title comes from this traditional Irish song.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very tasty. I made the extract version, and it reaches maturity at about 10-12 weeks after bottling. Biscuit with a hint of chocolate and the hop bitterness in the background.

Now that I switched to all grain, I'll have to try this again next year.

I'm so glad you liked it. I just noticed you had posted a few weeks ago, sorry for ignoring you. :mug:

Hey Revvy, Just brewed the AG version of this recipe and must say the smell of the special B/choco/Victory is delicious. My wife walked in the door and said the whole apartment smelled like pumpkin/almonds (which made me smile). Looking forward to having this be a solid autumn/winter beer for all to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hey Revvy, Just brewed the AG version of this recipe and must say the smell of the special B/choco/Victory is delicious. My wife walked in the door and said the whole apartment smelled like pumpkin/almonds (which made me smile). Looking forward to having this be a solid autumn/winter beer for all to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Thanks for brewing it. I haven't touched it in awhile. Maybe I'm due for another brew of it as well.

:mug:

I'm thinking unless I decide to do another weird ass beer instead, I'll probably make this on Teach a Fried to brew day on the first Saturday in November. I've let this recipe sort of get away from me in the ole pipeline. I can't recall the last time I brewed it.

I ask, because I came across your pan seared duck recipe a while back on a different forum, and tried it out Friday night. So I wanted to try a beer recipe of yours hoping I would have equal success. The duck turned out awesome.

If you can do all grain then do it, if you're an extract with grains brewer then do that one. If you have the means to partial mash in one of the other volumes do that. The outcome is still the same, all those versions are just different means to the same end depending on your capacity as a brewer. Nearly all beer recipes can be, with some math calculations, be done different ways.

If you look at the recipe, the amount of speciality malts stay exactly the same regardless. What changes is the base malt and whether or not any of it is coverted by the brewer.

An extract batch is really little different than an ag batch, despite what many think. The only difference is that in AG or PM the extract or EXTRACTION of sugars from starch is done by the brewer, and not a maltser in another locale.

SO do what works best for you. :mug:

Hey Revvy,

I'm going to brew your Old Bog Road this weekend, sounds like a great brew.

I'll be doing the extract with grains. After I bought the ingredients, I noticed in your notes that you upgraded the recipe with a pound of Rauch Malt. I was wondering if I could substitute, some roasted barley, or just go with the original recipe.

Also do you recommend late editions of the extract?

Thanks,
Grossy

Hey Revvy,

I'm going to brew your Old Bog Road this weekend, sounds like a great brew.

I'll be doing the extract with grains. After I bought the ingredients, I noticed in your notes that you upgraded the recipe with a pound of Rauch Malt. I was wondering if I could substitute, some roasted barley, or just go with the original recipe.

Also do you recommend late editions of the extract?

Thanks,
Grossy

If you're not looking for a little smokiness, then don't sub anything, just leave the rauch out entirely and brew the beer as is.

I like the looks of the recipe up there in #1, Revvy, but could you give me a few more options? :D

Kegged this tonight. Tasted great right out of the fermenter.

Thank you for a great recipe!

Oh awesome!!!

I missed this thread last night. What version did you do? Did you add the racuh malt? Did you do AG?

Can't wait to here how it comes our kegged.

It's been a long time since I've done this. I think I might have to revisit it.

Im planning on trying out this recipe AG mainly to try out the use of oak cubes - Just wondering if you could further elaborate on the amount you used, when and for how long?

Cheers - Thanks for this recipe...it sounds amazing

Back