grain mill motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
So, i've decided i'm going to make a pasta machine grain mill.
and i really want to motorize it. i work at a paint store and have access to many motors in various states of operation, and of various sizes (from dead shakers and the like).
how much power is recommended and what kind of RPM?

what other things do i need to look for in a motor?

Well, unless you have a pasta mill laying around already, I would recommend getting an actual grain mill if you are going to put all the effort in to making a stand and mating a motor to it. You ought to be able to find a mill used for less than $100. Why not spend the extra $50 and have the real thing?

Of course, if you already have a pasta mill, that is one thing...

Either way, good luck, sorry I don't have any advice as far as motors go...

well, the pasta mill is a fairly proven method, and costs about $15 by most accounts. toss in some free motors, mount it on empty 5 gallon buckets that i already own and have no use for, and it's actually a lot cheaper than the $100 for a mill.

plus, the motor will (hopefully) transfer over when i buy a barley crusher or similar. :)

bengerman said:
well, the pasta mill is a fairly proven method, and costs about $15 by most accounts. toss in some free motors, mount it on empty 5 gallon buckets that i already own and have no use for, and it's actually a lot cheaper than the $100 for a mill.

plus, the motor will (hopefully) transfer over when i buy a barley crusher or similar. :)

Fair enough. I didnt realize pasta mills were so cheap. Post results. :)

Will do. Been held up on getting the motors and mill by work and a cold, but hopefully I'll have time this weekend

Thanks for that link. I too have recently purchased a monster mill and I need to get it assembled/motorized. This was a great read.

Too bad the sheave and motor prices aren't still the same as they were in 1999. :p

Go to the local junk yard. They always have tons of used motors and you pay by the pound for them. I gave $3 for mine. You have to sort through a few to find the right horse and rpm you're looking for, but you can't beat the price.

so a motor appeared at my house from work (i didn't see it till it got here)

a little paint scraping reveals it is a Dayton, 1/4 hp, 1725 RPM, capacitor start.
it has a wiring diagram that makes no sense to me.
IMG_20111015_152532.jpg

can anyone explain how to wire this guy up? am i just wiring hot to the posts marked "blue" and "c" and grounding the chassis or what?
i'm going to go grab a couple more motors, in case this one doesn't work. (they're free, after all :D)

what's the model number of the model?

heck if you can get a bunch of the motors try and get as many as you can. Either post them on here to help fellow homebrewers out (lots of folks looking for motors) or sell 'em on ebay.

model number is 9mtj4. Grainger doesn't sell it anymore, so they have no info on it online.

i scored 2 more motors today. one is i think 1 hp, the other i haven't checked yet, but it smaller.

EDIT:
the two new guys are:
a 1 hp dayton 2-speed with a model number Grainger can't find. capacitor start, 1750/1450 RPM

and
the strange one. it's Italian and rated between .5 and .6 hp depending on the service
where it gets fun is that the services listed are 230/400, 240/415, 260/440 and 280/480.
i *think* the first number is the voltage, but i have no idea what the 2nd number is.
IMG_20111015_194726.jpg

this one was part of a tint machine, and was computer controlled, so i don't know what kind of power was actually going to it, but it has 5 lines coming into the box on the side, followed by this little junction
IMG_20111015_204052.jpg

Pretty sure the second number is the "Y" voltage for three-phase service.

[edit] Note the "Trifase" on the motor label...

Cheers!

I purchased this motor:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1074

I've used it for 4 or 5 batches and been satisfied with it. Maybe a bit more RPM's would be nice, but it probably wouldn't really save any time.
This motor is very common for grain mills. I use one, and I've seen it in various mill build threads. You can directly couple it to the drive roller without using pulleys, sprockets, or gears.

I purchased this motor:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1074

I've used it for 4 or 5 batches and been satisfied with it. Maybe a bit more RPM's would be nice, but it probably wouldn't really save any time.

This motor is very common for grain mills. I use one, and I've seen it in various mill build threads. You can directly couple it to the drive roller without using pulleys, sprockets, or gears.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the common motor is actually http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1098, isn't it? It's slightly faster, and has slightly more torque.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the common motor is actually http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1098, isn't it? It's slightly faster, and has slightly more torque.

Yup, that's the one I found recommended here. And with these little motors 33% more torque is nothing to trivialize - running mine in CCW mode it's plenty strong enough for my Barley Crusher...

Cheers!

I use a Dayton furnace fan motor salvaged from... You guessed it, an old furnace. It is 1/4 hp and 1725 RPM.

The only pain was getting it to drive the mill at a speed that wouldn't throw grain. 300 RPM is about right. I had to make a custom 9" pulley for the mill so it went just above 300 (IIRC it was about 330 RPM).

Other then that it works great. I can't start it loaded with grain FWIW. It has to be up to speed first or the belt slips. Maybe I need more tension or barring that a posi-drive belt. Probably the former... The 1/4 hp has enough power to grind 12 lbs in just over a minute.

HumanGarbage said:
I use a Dayton furnace fan motor salvaged from... You guessed it, an old furnace. It is 1/4 hp and 1725 RPM.

The only pain was getting it to drive the mill at a speed that wouldn't throw grain. 300 RPM is about right. I had to make a custom 9" pulley for the mill so it went just above 300 (IIRC it was about 330 RPM).

Other then that it works great. I can't start it loaded with grain FWIW. It has to be up to speed first or the belt slips. Maybe I need more tension or barring that a posi-drive belt. Probably the former... The 1/4 hp has enough power to grind 12 lbs in just over a minute.

What kind of mill are you using?

Yup, that's the one I found recommended here. And with these little motors 33% more torque is nothing to trivialize - running mine in CCW mode it's plenty strong enough for my Barley Crusher...

Cheers!

For what it's worth, I didn't have much luck with this motor on my 3 roller mill. Jammed with little more than a handful of grain in the hopper. The 3 roller mill seems to need more torque.

Others have used it fine with different mills. Just an FYI, really.

For what it's worth, I didn't have much luck with this motor on my 3 roller mill. Jammed with little more than a handful of grain in the hopper. The 3 roller mill seems to need more torque.

Déjà vu

bengerman said:
so a motor appeared at my house from work (i didn't see it till it got here)

a little paint scraping reveals it is a Dayton, 1/4 hp, 1725 RPM, capacitor start.
it has a wiring diagram that makes no sense to me.

can anyone explain how to wire this guy up? am i just wiring hot to the posts marked "blue" and "c" and grounding the chassis or what?
i'm going to go grab a couple more motors, in case this one doesn't work. (they're free, after all :D)

Bump...
Any input on wiring this bad boy?
I wired up the 1 HP unit today and it runs, but the smaller one has a much more convenient mount.

Hmm...I use this motor on my MM 3 roller (direct drive, no pulleys or gearing outside the motor housing), and it rarely hiccups.

If I just dump a whole bunch of plump kernels (quality 2 row) in the hopper, it may stall, but if I pour slowly at first to get the dead rollers spinning, then fill the hopper, it always churns right through.

has anyone ever tried wiring in a start capacitor in parallel with the run capacitor on this motor?
that is how I have my bodine motor wired, the start cap is wired in parallel with the run cap and controlled by a momentary-on pushbutton switch....if my mill binds I just press the button for a second to get it going

Picked up the grain mill --er....pasta machine....clay roller...thing... $17 after tax, plus they gave me another 40% off coupon while I was there.
I'll start fiddling with a drive train and post back.

Wire your hot (white) wire to the "Blue" post, and common (black) to the "C" post. Your ground wire (green) should be attached to the chassis. If the motor turns the wrong way, connect the hot (white) wire to the "Yellow" post instead to reverse it.

Cheers!

I see a few threads that recommend running the 5-1098 in CCW. What becomes cloudy is that in a GE motor rotation is determined by observing rotation from the back of the motor. Now when the motor is CCW the gearbox output is CW. It is not clear in my mind if we are all making the same observation.

Looking at the fan blades It appears that this motor was designed to run CW with an output after gearbox being CCW. So I just need to flip the grain mill rollers....can I get an amen?

GNBrews said:
Wire your hot (white) wire to the "Blue" post, and common (black) to the "C" post. Your ground wire (green) should be attached to the chassis. If the motor turns the wrong way, connect the hot (white) wire to the "Yellow" post instead to reverse it.

Thank you! I'll give it a go.

I see a few threads that recommend running the 5-1098 in CCW. What becomes cloudy is that in a GE motor rotation is determined by observing rotation from the back of the motor. Now when the motor is CCW the gearbox output is CW. It is not clear in my mind if we are all making the same observation.

Looking at the fan blades It appears that this motor was designed to run CW with an output after gearbox being CCW. So I just need to flip the grain mill rollers....can I get an amen?

"Amen".

Yeah, the whole "which way is CCW" thing is muddled when the motor shaft spins one way and the gearbox output shaft spins the other.

But once you've operated the motor in both directions it will be obvious for which direction the gears were purposefully cut, and that's when the gear shaft is turning CCW when "observed" from the fan end of the unit. The gear train makes way less noise in CCW than CW...

Cheers!

"Amen".

Yeah, the whole "which way is CCW" thing is muddled when the motor shaft spins one way and the gearbox output shaft spins the other.

But once you've operated the motor in both directions it will be obvious for which direction the gears were purposefully cut, and that's when the gear shaft is turning CCW when "observed" from the fan end of the unit. The gear train makes way less noise in CCW than CW...

Cheers!

:mug:

mullet said:

It doesn't look like this model is available any longer, the 5-1074 that Spartan mentioned is though. Is that model sufficient, or should I keep searching. I want to hook this up directly to my barley crusher using a coupling. Any thoughts?

I am Looking to buy one as well but the shown motor is 107 RPM, I thought the target RPM was 180 ish?

It doesn't look like this model is available any longer, the 5-1074 that Spartan mentioned is though. Is that model sufficient, or should I keep searching. I want to hook this up directly to my barley crusher using a coupling. Any thoughts?

I've had no problems with mine. It hasn't jammed once and I've started it with the hopper full and the hopper empty.

It is a little bit slow, a few more rpm's would be nice.

Awesome. Thanks Spartan. I'm going to order one. Slow is ok. I'll do other things while it grinds.

Back