Gravity Fed AG system using hoist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pkendzi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just finished converting my kegs and am pondering the 3 tier setup. 1 1/4" square metal is about $1.20 per ft here and I'm going to need at least 40 ft. 4x4 studs are not much cheaper AND I only have 2 burners at the moment.

Here is my idea; I can use cinder blocks to support the HLT, build a frame & attach a hoist to raise the MT a couple feet then move a burner under the boil kettle. Sparge in this setup and then raise the boil kettle when I want to run through the CFC to the carboys.

I was thinking an old swing set frame or something would be great but can't find one around here.

I figure I can get away with 2x4's for the frame and a hoist can be had for about $30.

I would appreciate any input/other ideas about this method.
Cheers!

To save $50 on struts you want to suspend 60-70 pounds of boiling liquid using ropes? Between the $30 for the hoist, the cash for the 2x4s, and miscellaneous connections, it doesn't sound like you'll save much if anything. Plus, let's not forget the swinging cauldron of molten beer. I love bootleg solutions as much as the next guy, but this sounds to me like a lot more trouble than it's worth. That said, don't let me stop you. :mug:

Back