Convert Single Faucet Tower to Triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keb

Reaction score
What do you guys think? I have a 3" diameter single faucet tower on a kegerator I just picked up at a great price. I'd ultimately like atleast a 2 faucet tower and really I want a 3. I found this item doing some other searches but couldn't figure out if someone had done this before. Basically drill a hole on each side of the current faucet and add a new shank and faucet. See link below.

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=19205&source=nextopia

The only thing I'm worried about is space in the tower but how do the prebuilt 3 faucet towers work if not like this?

Thanks in advance.

I saw that as an option but I'm more interested in a 3 faucet tower. Unfortunately those go for about 200 and the single I have now is basically useless.

Oh I see now it adds 2 to the original 1 faucet. So it just goes on top? Anyone tried one of these?

bump, i would also like to see how one of these look on top of a standard tap and know how easy it is to assemble and run lines.

They look like an added top. Ones I have seen in bars look like an afterthought, they have screws on the side.

You could drill 2 more holes and buy 2 shanks. It gets tight in there but it works fine. You will want a shank wrench, it gets in there where a normal wrench wont. I made my own. Here is my setup:
MG_9976.JPG

MG_9971.JPG

Think it would be an easy fix. Just mark your spot for your other taps drill the holes with a uni-bit make sure it how's up to 7/8. The you should be able to remove the top of the tower so you can reach in there and tighten up you connections ect. But I may be wrong.

Benda that looks awesome!

I noticed when looking at my current tower shank that the metal piece that is physically touching the tower is contoured to the shape of the tower. When you buy one of those elbow shanks does it come like that? I can't tell from the side view that they all give you.

Not sure if the top of my tower comes off, I'd have to look. Also I think mine is plastic. Didn't mess with it alot last night up close to check but I saw where some paint was coming off a bit signifying to me that it's probably plastic (saw white underneath). Couldn't you get to everything from underneath by taking it off the fridge? I guess that would still be a paint because of how far you have to go up the tower and how little of space you have side to side.

Ok so I checked everything out last night. My tower column is plastic, does not allow the top to be removed, and it's 2 and 1/2 inches, not 3 inches. Still doable? You think the plasic is strong enough to hold everything? Seems sturdy enough.

Don't know. Mine is chrome plated brass. You will have to be very careful when drilling it.

Having said that though, mine was a bear trying to squeeze two extra taps in there and tighten them up. And the top of mine is removeable so my access was better. You'll have to find a way to remove the top or I would think it would be impossible to tighten them from the bottom.

If the top does not come off, it's probably a loss, unless you want to cut the top off and make a cap. It's tough enough to get the lines on and all the parts in place with the top off. Tower shanks have the curved piece to fit the round tower.
earthbound: thanks! it's been a labor of love.

I agree with airmek that three taps in a 3" tower is tight, I can't imagine a 2.5" tower being any easier (if even possible). I had to customize my shank wrench with an angle grinder to make it work. Hours of fiddling, some swearing, and two bloody knuckles later I got it all to work. The good news is you really only have to do it once, but it will at the very least be an exercise in patience.

I you want to pursue the tap tower idea, you might check out accumetalfab. You have to call for pricing, but IIRC I bought a custom three-hole brushed stainless tower for a very reasonable price. They were easy to deal with and shipped fast.

Beyond that, a DIY wood coffin box will save you some dough and make installing the faucets a breeze compared to the tower. Just a thought.

Yeah the box idea is probably going to be the way to go other than just buying a 3 faucet tower. I'll have to take a look around for good plans. Thanks all.

+1

I had a 2 tap 3" chromed brass tower and converted it to a 4 tap tower with one of these extensions after I figured out how to cram 4 cornys into my kegerator. I had a hard enough time tightening the 2 side by side shanks on the original tower and extension. I can't imagine how you could get a wrench on them with 3 shanks close together. And before someone asks, yes 4 lengths of Bevlex 3/16 line do fit in the tower.

iI LOVE those pics.

Currently I'm cleaning a 3 faucet 2" dia. all brass tower I picked up of craigslist. All three faucets go into a cast brass cap, so really, all I'm saying is it can be done... with the right parts/tools. Prolly wont make that bend freehand.

Just wanted to chime in and say BE CAREFUL if you decide to bore your tower!

I went to convert my double tap tower to a triple and my 7/8" step bit didn't seem to be big enough to push the shank through. The next size up was 1"... Well, 1" is way too big! 15/16" might work but definitely not 1". Anyway, I'm on the hook for a new tower now :mad:

Here's a picture of where I was headed...

jakorator3_small.jpg

Back