Brewed this Black Monster today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
Had to split it into 2 carboys, got 6.5 gallons out of the mash tun, boiled it for 90 minutes and still got just under 6 gallons. Probably should have boiled it longer as I didnt hit the OG I wanted. Was aiming for 1.083 but got 1.075. I've been having problems with overflow so I thought I would give the 1st one alot of room.

Brewing outside in the snow

P1090002.jpg

Imperial Chocolate Stout

P1090003.jpg

Moose Drool Clone and Imperial Chocolate Stout

P1090004.jpg

Looks tasty! Might look into just adding a blow off tube, when you have the fermentors filled closer to the top. It looks like that would have almost all fit in one. I love Moose Drool, and have made 2 batches of it so far. The Imperial Black Stout looks great. I made an Old Engine Oil clone this past weekend, and the sample tasted awesome. If you haven't had the commercial OEO, you gotta try it! If you like Moose Drool and Imp Choc Stouts, you'll definitely like it!

Sounds tasty. Have you done this recipe before or is it new? Just curious about how it will turn out. I tend to use way more cocoa whenever I make chocolate stouts.

No I've never done this recipe before. I just came across ONE attempted clone that apparently came out well, and went for it. They pretty much tell you the ingredients on the website....its just a question of how much of each. Either way, it should come out good!! The oats really seemed to smooth out the roasted barley.

My only worry is that I pitched an old yeast slurry of Wyeast 1968 ESB, and didn't use a starter...and the fermentation seems to be moving VEEERY slow...but I just pitched Saturday night, and there is finally a thin foam starting to form around the edge, so I think its going to do just fine...

Old Engine Oil is a Awsome beer!
I also like the Yeti Stout by Great Divide.
Would love to find a clone recipe for that one.

A half gallon of boil-off in 90 minutes would have me worried, but ok if that's normal for you and you're making good beer.
More beer for you!

On Sunday I boiled off 2 gallons in 90 minutes indoors on my gas stovetop. :eek:

Back