fermenter transport - bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
For reasons I won't get into, I may need to take my batch of dark lager on a 2 hour car ride. Is it sure to be ruined? I was thinking that with all the co2 left in the fermenter, oxidation really shouldn't be too much of an issue. On the other hand, maybe the sloshing will cause a problem.

If I were to sanitize some plastic wrap and really seal the top (it's done fermenting) so the co2 doesn't get kicked out with movement, would that help?

thanks

the sloshing wont bother anything. just let it sit once you get to where you are going.

i would be more worried about the increase in temperature and light exposure during the 2 hours. lagers really should be kept around 50F during fermentation and ramped up to 60 during the last third or so of fermentation. large temperature fluctuations will stress the yeast and can cause off flavors.

The fermenter is already covered with a black t-shirt and is dark itself so skunking won't be an issue. As for temp goes, it'll take more than a couple hours to get 5 gallons to any dangerous temp, but good thought.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back