Ipa temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphit

Reaction score
I have a kegerator but the temp doesn't go above 46 degree. If I leave it off its about 80 inside which I know isn't good for my ipa. What should I expect if I tried fermenting at that low of a temp?

Fermenting 001 at 46 F.

You will get either:

- Nothing because it is too cold for the yeast to get started.

- High FG. The yeasts starts off, and keeps going thru active fermentation due to its own generated heat, once it starts to slow down it will cool and drop out of suspension.

If it were me, I'd get it started at room temp, place in cooler (maybe even before active fermentation has started), and then remove once again as it starts to slow down.

I have never done this but I have seen it done. Place your fermenter in a larger tub, fill that tub with water until it is about a third of the way up the side of the fermenter and wrap a towel around the fermenter. Keep a box fan blowing on the fermenter. What happens is water will wick up the towel and the fan will cool it. I have seen this work when the air temp is 78 degrees. A simple stick on thermometer will let you monitor the fermention temp. It is a bit of work to maintian but you can expect to see a 6 to 8 degree drop from the air temp to the fermentation temp. There is a great youtube video of this here.

Cheers mate and good luck.:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy this, Hook it up to your kegerator...then you have a kegerator/fermentation chamber. then you can set it and forget it. Just do it...you know you want to!
etc-111000-000b.jpg

hirambiram said:
I have never done this but I have seen it done. Place your fermenter in a larger tub, fill that tub with water until it is about a third of the way up the side of the fermenter and wrap a towel around the fermenter. Keep a box fan blowing on the fermenter. What happens is water will wick up the towel and the fan will cool it. I have seen this work when the air temp is 78 degrees. A simple stick on thermometer will let you monitor the fermention temp. It is a bit of work to maintian but you can expect to see a 6 to 8 degree drop from the air temp to the fermentation temp. There is a great youtube video of this here.

Cheers mate and good luck.:mug:

Exactly what I do. Great advice man!

Back