ever forget whats in your fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
i have seven fermenters full and have no idea what is in two of them. this ever happen to u all?

Just remembered one is a chocolate porter! i really need to keep track of this

I've never had more than one in the primary and one in the secondary at the same time. A simple piece of masking tape with the name would help, or you could just bottle it and play guess the beer.

I never forget cause I label my fermentors with what is in them and when it was put there. :)

15GallonsApfelwein.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have time to keep that many fermenters full at once. So this is a good problem for you to have, and I envy you! I like McKbrew's idea- play guess the beer!

yea i am teaching a friend to brew and he just went straight into all grain and he keeps everything at my place so i get to brew twice as much!

I feel your confusion. I havejust started labeling everything with masking tape after years of brewing. Worst part is I brew mostly IPAs so I was really confused!

I follow EdWort's example: painters masking tape with the brew, date and OG written on it

No, but I have had the masking tape labels fall off of cornies, so I had to go back through my notes to figure out what was what. I use luggage tags now.

For the Kegerator I have to use a dry erase board that I draw a beer map on. For primaries...about a year ago I had NO idea what was what after moving all the fermenters around while drunk.... Since then everything is labeled. It was fun playing guess that beer when we kegged em up.

No, but I can see how it could happen. I only have hard cider in one and my elderberry wine in another right now. Easily distinguished.

But, if I had several unmarked brews going I'd probably in a fix because I have been working full tilt and barely have any time for my new hobby. :(

Jennifer

Never with Carboys yet. I've forgotten which bottles are which sometimes...last time i thought i had more stout left, but was unpleasantly suprised when it came out to be the belgian ale disaster.

BierMuncher said:
How's this for anal:

After reading your last post in the software forum, why am I not surprised mr. beersmith-export-convert-export-carry the two-drop the seven, add the chart, print. :)

I've had as many as 6 carboys and 2 buckets active at the same time, but I've never forgotten what's in any of them. Masking tape and a Sharpie work wonders. :D

I recently got a label maker, and have been using it in lieu of tape...just because I can. And it looks more serious. ;)

I have some of those clear plastic badge holders from various business seminars and years of buying fishing licenses and I put dark T-shirts on my carboys since I'm paranoid about light damage. I just write the beer name/type, O.G., brew date, etc on a piece of paper, put it in the little plastic holder and pin it to the T-shirt.

I'm not as anal as Biermuncher, nor do I ever have 6 carboys full at once, but I usually label my carboys with a post-it note of critical information.

Beer Name and Any Notes (Ex// Yeast Used, Temp)
Date and Time Brewed, OG, Any Notes (Ex// tasting some at transfer, etc.)
Date Transferred To Secondary, Gravity at Transfer, Any Notes
etc.

Works like a charm. Then once I bottle it (soon to keg), I put all the notes rom the stick into Beersmith.

Latest posts

Back