Blue Rhino CO2 Tanks from Lowes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a corny keg or two of homebrew I'm hoping to bring up to a wedding next weekend. Ideally, I'd like to skip bringing along my heavy CO2 tank and would prefer to bring something smaller. I saw that Lowes and Blue Rhino are now doing CO2 swaps and am wondering how easy it would be to just pick one of those up. I would consider putting together a more elaborate, portable system, but lack the time or cash at this point to put it all together.

Can I just pick one up and screw my normal regulator on to it?

Thanks all - this site is one of the things that brought be back to homebrewing.

rib

I think they would work fine. I have seen them too. Seem a little pricey, but from what I understand, the exchange gives you about $20 back.

I have also heard you may have an issue with the threads not working exactly with your regulator. I know keg connections sells a regulator adapter for about $14, that will make it fit better. It would be nice if you could do without the adapter.

Blue Rhino makes CO2 tanks? I thought they only dealt with propane tanks. I'll have to check these CO2 tanks out.

edit: oh yeah, $35 for a 20oz tank. That is pretty steep.

The Blue Rhino’s are just paintball tanks.
I bought a paintball tank at dicks sporting goods. They fill them for $5.
If you use plan to use one with your regulator you will need an adapter.

Thanks for the tips about the adapter - I had no idea I'd need one.

I ordered an adapter and one of those handheld chargers. I'm super paranoid about my CO2 levels, mainly because I always seem to be at work when the shops that could refill my tank are open. I figure the Lowes tank would be a good, rarely used emergency option.

The small charger is just because I don't know when to stop clicking 'Add to Cart'.

+1 on the Genuine Innovations thingy Gremlyn mentioned. I have one and it works great for pushing already carbed beer. It uses the 16gm CO2 cartridges and screws on to a gas ball lock coupling. About three 16gm cartridges will push a 5 gallon corny. Very portable! Considering I pay about $1.50 per cartridge, it's not too bad.

The CO2 injector posted by Gremlyn is great. I've used one a few times and it allows me to transport kegs to parties and not have to haul around some huge co2 tank. It's also a good little show piece that sparks interest at parties.

+1 on the Genuine Innovations thingy Gremlyn mentioned. I have one and it works great for pushing already carbed beer. It uses the 16gm CO2 cartridges and screws on to a gas ball lock coupling. About three 16gm cartridges will push a 5 gallon corny. Very portable! Considering I pay about $1.50 per cartridge, it's not too bad.

But doesn't the brew start to go flat after a while of using that thing?

But doesn't the brew start to go flat after a while of using that thing?

The idea isn't to only use that, just use it when the keg isn't in the keezer. In theory, if the beer is already properly carbed and you keep the keg pressurised with the cartridges, then you shouldn't lose carbonation. If anything, you might gain some if the pressure in the keg is higher than the carbing pressure.

Back