Easy light Drinking APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Lets see if this sounds bueno

looking for a lighter beer (lighter mouth feel/lower grav) APA

7lbs 2 row
8oz Honey Malt
1lb rice or corn

.25 Summit FWH
1 oz 10 min
.75 flame out.

I'm not sure what the AA% is on Summit but I'm sure it's not not high enough for that to produce a balanced beer. The bitterness of a pale ale really contributes to its refreshing qualities. You're looking at a gravity between 1.042-1.048 maybe? You'll want to hit 30-35 IBUs to keep it on the sweeter end of the style. Nail down your bitterness and I think you've go a great beer. Just shift hops from your 10 minute addition to the FWH until you hit the right IBU range, it will still produce a nice flavor that way.

I'm not sure what the AA% is on Summit but I'm sure it's not not high enough for that to produce a balanced beer.

Summit is like 17-19% IIRC. I haven't brewed with it yet but it has me really interested as I think it should make for a great APA.

I haven't run this through Beersmith, but I do agree that you'll want at leat 30-35 IBU's at that gravity...so just watch your IBUs.

Otherwise it all looks pretty good. Have you picked a yeast? If you're wanting a lighter mouth feel I'd try keeping your mash in the 150-152F range and use some US-05 to dry it out nicely. My 1.058 APA finished out at 1.008 w/ a 152F mash temp and one packet of US-05. It's cheap too!

I figured the rice would help thin the body.

Summits are 18%ish. Tangerines a plenty.

And yes I was going to use Notty or US-05

Yes, and if you're making BMC it's great for 50% of your grist

I figured the rice would help thin the body.

Like I said, I don't have any experience w/ rice so this is purely for educational purposes...but why wouldn't you just go w/ a lower mash temp and/or use a really good attenuating yeast instead? Is there some other reason BMC uses so many adjuncts? Price?

I just ran numbers on 18%AA and I think you're looking at 40ish IBU. Should be excellent! Happy Brewing.

I don't know if I would brew a beer with only summit, though I know others have....personally, I like it mixed with Cascade. Actually, I just brewed an APA with kinda the same goal in mind (a sessionable, but highly (late) hopped APA) yesterday. I used Cascade for FWH and .25oz at 60 min, then an equal mix of Amarillo, Summit and Cascade starting at 20 through to flameout for about 40 IBU's....gonna dry-hop with the same mix. Summit hops smell a little off to me vs. the immediately recognizable (and much loved) cascade. that's why I can't use them alone - the aroma is just kind of strange.

Back