Roach in jug used for airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I am using a tube connected to my 3 piece airlock and it is going to a jug filled with sanitizer and water. I was out of town right after I brewed and came home to a dead floating roach in the jug. Any worries. While I was gone the fermentation was aggressive because the jug was full of beer

I have to admit that is kinda gross. But in all likely hood you are ok with the beer considering the distance to the actual product.

Oh no! You're the latest victim of the rare but unfortunate case where your pack of "yeast" was in fact a packet of cockroach eggs! The larvae feed on the sugars in the wort and rapidly mature, and one must have ridden the high kräusen right out of the fermenter. You'd better not drink any of that beer - there might be unhatched roach eggs left, and if you drink them, they will hatch inside of you and crawl their way out at night! You'd better send that beer to me right away for safe disposal.

(Seriously, though - if it turns out to be really good beer, you could call it "Dead Roach Ale", and none of your friends will touch it, leaving it all to yourself!)

Your biggest problem is that you have roaches in the area where you brew. Do you need assistance with how to get rid of roaches?

LOL, and to think, a couple hundred years ago, the first monk to work in the morning had to fish the dead rats out of the vats!

Captives of WWII Japanese used to scrape the sides of their latrines to gather the roaches for their food protein.

Not only is it chock full of protein, it has also filled up on your beer.

Haha well it's a palmetto bug and we have had 7 inches of rain in seven days so I assume it's escaping the rain and got thirsty. The tube is like 3 feet away long tube.

Well,since you had sanitizer in there,I don't think it'll do any harm. As long as you didn't get any suck backs,no worries m8.

Haha. I guess you can't get more organic then that. I'd toss the contents of the bucket blow off & put fresh sanitized water in it for the dry hop.

Back