Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question. Since I think I ought to do a couple rounds on 1 Gal SMaSHes generally speaking what OG/IBU range do you all usually go for to best taste each ingredient? I know this can be subjective, and style-jective (did I just make up a word?), but I figure something along the lines of a PA or IPA would be best.

I think to really taste each individual hop, you want at least something approaching an APA.

Hiya all, got any one gallon SMASH recipes with light malt (such as 2 row)?Id love to start experimenting with different malts.
Thanks, Ben

MedBrewer said:
Hiya all, got any one gallon SMASH recipes with light malt (such as 2 row)?Id love to start experimenting with different malts.
Thanks, Ben

Brew Your Own video did a small batch SMaSH of New Albion. It is 2 row pale malt and equal amounts of Cascade added at 60, 30, 15 minutes. I have my version of it fermenting right now. I did five gallons with 11lbs malt and 3 ounces of Cascade. I added one ounce as First Wort Hop, 1 ounce at 60 and one ounce at 15 minutes.

MedBrewer said:
Thanks, Ben

I went overboard and did a 10 gallon smash this weekend. Maris Otter and citra. The spare room I am fermenting in smells like a bowl of citrus fruit. I have high hopes for this one.

Not sure how light you're looking at but my first runnings were a beautiful deep gold.

Uploaded the pic from my phone so I am sorry if the web browser makes it huge

image-2788496113.jpg

I went overboard and did a 10 gallon smash this weekend. Maris Otter and citra. The spare room I am fermenting in smells like a bowl of citrus fruit. I have high hopes for this one.

Not sure how light you're looking at but my first runnings were a beautiful deep gold.

Uploaded the pic from my phone so I am sorry if the web browser makes it huge

Im sorry but in what universe is 10 gallons of MO/Citra is overboard??? Lol Thats gonna be one delicious beer.

Thanks, Ben

I loved the way this one turned out for me. Maris Otter/Falconers Flight SMaSH. This is for 2 gallons, just cut in half for one.

OG 1.066
FG 1.017
SRM 7.2
ABV 6.5%
IBU 57

5# Maris Otter
.5oz Falconers Flight @60
.25oz FF @20
Irish Moss @15
.25oz FF@2

Saf ale 05 yeast.

ForumRunner_20130306_184943.jpg

I loved the way this one turned out for me. Maris Otter/Falconers Flight SMaSH. This is for 2 gallons, just cut in half for one.

Hate to break it to you but you can't make a SMaSH with Falconer's Flight since it is a blend of different hops, which definitely violates the SH rule. ;)

Sounds good though.

Hate to break it to you but you can't make a SMaSH with Falconer's Flight since it is a blend of different hops, which definitely violates the SH rule. ;)

Sounds good though.

Yeah yeah Im well aware its a blend being that you use it in a single dose and not break the said blended hops apart for use.........its the same thing.

Ostomo517 said:
Im sorry but in what universe is 10 gallons of MO/Citra is overboard??? Lol Thats gonna be one delicious beer.

By "overboard" I meant the volume. I am new to the 10 gallon club. I was my first smash and my first 10 gallon batch. Really looking forward to it. My fermentation area smells like a big bowl of citrus

Maris Otter to 1.050

Cascade for 17.5 IBU @ 60 mins
Cascade for 7.0 IBU @ 20 mins
1 ounce Cascade at flame out

Fermented with WLP 510 Belgian Bastogne

Mmmm...

AG pale ale made from ingredients grown and processed within 20 miles of my house. 2-row from Colorado Malting and unknown variety wild hops I picked out in front of the Green Spot nursery. Simple, fresh, and delicious!

I just put a new SMaSH into the fermenter. Vienna/Cascade. Here's the catch: I only used FWH and flameout hops (i.e. no direct heat during any hop additions). We'll see if it pays off!

10 lbs Bestmalz Vienna
Preboil gravity: 1.040
OG: 1.050

2 oz Cascade 5.5% FWH
3 oz Cascade 5.5% at 0 min (steep 30 minutes before chilling)

Nottingham (rehydrated)

http://hopville.com/recipe/1687486

24lbs Of Munich Malt
2ounces, of 15%AA Millenium

1.115 -----> down to 1.004 :confused:

Now I need to add something to this beast to balance it....

First off I love the HBT Forum. Long time lurker, first time poster. Been meaning to sign up for a while, and decided his was the thread to start with.

My last two beers have been SMaSH style. I brew in 2 gallon batches.

Both beers were:
4 pounds for Breiss 2-row
.5oz cascade (60min)
.5oz cascade (5min)
Coopers Ale yeast

Ferment around 66-68 degrees (fermenting in winter with the bucket under a desk in the kitchen next to a cold exterior wall). Ferment was violent, and lasted three days. Let sit one week, bottled with Cooper Drops (12oz and 22oz), let sit for another two weeks.

Both batches when opened, nice carbination, clear, pale, crisp with a zing of grapefruit.

Brewed it twice, and am looking forward to brewing it again.

Now that I think about it, I did a simple 5.0% pilsner/Saaz saison that I fermented warm with, I think, WLP 568. That was one of the most spectacular beers I have ever made. Definitely doing it again this summer.

I'm planning an SLV SMaSH (San Luis Valley, CO) made with Cascade hops grown by Elena at Cactus Hill Farm in La Jara and Belgian Style Pale malt malted by Jason and the crew at Colorado Malting Co. right here in Alamosa. Now I just need to hook up with COLObrewer and get some of his juniper yeast to make this a truly local brew!

What would be a light colored,lightly hopped smash brew? American 2 row and cascade? And for one gallon should I use about 2 lbs grain? How much hops? I want to focus on the malt flavor instead of the hops for this first batch. What yeast would be good for neutral flavor and how much? Lol I dont know d*#k about making recipes yet.
Thanks all!

This thread got me interested in brewing a smash and the lbhs gifted me a few ounces of mosaic to try out, so I ran this on Sunday.

12.5 lbs pale 2-row
Mosaic pellets
0.5 @ 60
0.5 @ 30
0.5 @ 10
0.5 @ 00

I'll dry hop when I secondary

It's fermenting with some harvested wlp051v

Never used mosaic, so I split up the 2oz package pretty evenly. I was reading today that late additions are better though. If I like them, I might do my honey pale with the mosaic along with citra for some more fruitiness.

How does this sound for a 1 gallon SMASH: 2lbs American 2 row, citra hops .03oz x 3 for total of .09oz,additions (10min,30min,50min), and American ale yeast 1 pack? Mash 2 qts @ 160F for 60 min, Sparge with 1 gallon@170F?
Beersmith says it will have about 20 IBU (thats what im looking for in this one) but does not say what times for hop additions?

I've been doing 1 gallon smashes to experiment and this turned out pretty tasty:

Sand Otter IPA
2.5 lbs Maris Otter
6g Mosaic - 60
6g Mosaic - 30
6g Mosaic - 15
8g Mosaic - fo

(Yes, I just mixed US and metric; I went there.)

This beer was my first brewing with Mosaic and it was phenomenal. I brewed it again but mixed in a bit of Dark Munich and it was pure awesome.

I've been doing 1 gallon smashes to experiment and this turned out pretty tasty:

Sand Otter IPA
2.5 lbs Maris Otter
6g Mosaic - 60
6g Mosaic - 30
6g Mosaic - 15
8g Mosaic - fo
(Yes, I just mixed US and metric; I went there.)

This beer was my first brewing with Mosaic and it was phenomenal. I brewed it again but mixed in a bit of Dark Munich and it was pure awesome.

You went with Drew Beechum's "Brewing on the Ones"...one malt, one hop, one yeast, and one surprise! Simple, elegant, delicious. Prost!

"Best SMaSH recipe you've made???"

Relative to my other beers with more complexity and layers of flavor/aroma, the SMaSH beers are all wayyyyy less desirable. SMaSH is a good process to follow if you want to learn about hops and malts, but not so much if you want to create the best beer you've ever made. Simple is great... but up to a point.

Relative to my other beers with more complexity and layers of flavor/aroma, the SMaSH beers are all wayyyyy less desirable. SMaSH is a good process to follow if you want to learn about hops and malts, but not so much if you want to create the best beer you've ever made. Simple is great... but up to a point.

Isn't a pilsner essential a smash? You may not "desire" a smash but it seems there are others here that love'em. Desirability is a personal preference. Brew it, drink it, then decide if you like it. Simplicity has a beauty all its own. Complexity may be just that, complex and confusing.

Isn't a pilsner essential a smash? You may not "desire" a smash but it seems there are others here that love'em. Desirability is a personal preference. Brew it, drink it, then decide if you like it. Simplicity has a beauty all its own. Complexity may be just that, complex and confusing.

I'm right there with you these days. I was on a bit of an American and Belgian kick for a while, but I bought a four pack of Bitburger in cans the other week and LOVED it. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed the malt side of things that much in a while. Just makes me want something with a touch breadier finish.

Any suggestions?

kaz4121 said:
Made a delicious brew with just 2-row and summit hops. Turned out extremely bright, full of tangerine flavor and aroma. One of my best beers to date, hands down. Keg only last a few hours with friends over.

Sometimes simple is the best policy.

What recipe did you use?

Why would you even come into this thread to write that?

Based on a couple recommendations in this thread as well as others, I am currently brewing a Maris Otter/Citra SMaSH, and it's my first brew! Never had a SMaSH before, but I can't wait to try it!

Greels said:
Why would you even come into this thread to write that?

Based on a couple recommendations in this thread as well as others, I am currently brewing a Maris Otter/Citra SMaSH, and it's my first brew! Never had a SMaSH before, but I can't wait to try it!

Would love to hear your impressions when you finally taste it. I have been brewing for some time but my first smash is mo/citra. Just hit week 2 in the primary. Plan to dry hop tomorrow.

Greels said:
Nice! What was your hop schedule like?

10 gallon batch with 1.060 OG. All citra was leaf and 16% AA. 1 ounce each at 50 min, 20 min, 10 min and an ounce at knockout. Took the beer to 165f and whirlpooled for 15 min before chilling the rest of the way (was playing with my new toy ... It was my first whirlpool with my new pump set up). Calculated it at around 45ish IBU.

I have another ounce of citra. I am planning on .5 ounce in each carboy tomorrow for 5 days before kegging.

I bottled my first smash last week. Its 2 row and cascade,tasting a small sample
While bottling it tasted a little musky,I did cold crash it 5 days and its pretty clear.

Back