Disposable kegs - reusable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefencore

Reaction score
I work at a restaurant that has a great beer selection. We go through 25-30 kegs a week. Various sizes and such. We have received a few disposable kegs. Wondering if I can reuse this keg? If not for serving, at least for aging? I can't seem to get the collar off without damaging the whole shebang, so is there a way to clean and sanitize this using the coupler?

image-2998047071.jpg

image-2963159213.jpg

I forget the manufacturer, but they are calling them KeyKegs. I rigged this though. I have a small pond pump, so it's kind of a slow process. I inverted the actual container on its shell, and I'm pumping detergent water in thru the co2 line, and once it's full it will come out the beer line.

image-431369265.jpg

The system you rigged will work. It's better to Pump it up through the beer line and have it run down the sides and out the gas port.

If you have a bunch I would be interested in having 4 shipped to me.

If this can hold more than 10 gallons I would like to get my hands on them to try building a few ideas of my own out of them. So you say they are showing up at resturants... What brands of beer are coming in them so I can scope out my local resturants for some of them?

What's the pressure rating on these things? I'd be worried about accidentally overpressurizing it, and having an accident like what happened at Redhook earlier this year.

I know some European brands are using these to cut back on intl shipping costs of kegs. There are larger sizes as well. This particular keg is a Cleveland brewer (I am in Columbus Ohio) ill post the manufacturer website when I get home. The one I have is listed at 60psi

JRems said:
The system you rigged will work. It's better to Pump it up through the beer line and have it run down the sides and out the gas port.

I tried this, but with a sanke coupler it didn't work. Dunno if there is a trick to it.

JRems said:

I tried this, but with a sanke coupler it didn't work. Dunno if there is a trick to it.

What's the capacity on them?? If you remove the coupling/valve assembly, does it look like a regular sanke keg too (lip and such)?? If you have a spare, or two, I'd be interested in getting a closer look at them. I'd pay you for the shipping costs (of course). :D PM me if you're interested in shipping one or more. :D

Hell I live right herein Cbus, I'd be happy to help you figure out how to make it work.

The trick to the sanke coupler is to remove the one way valve in the beer out tube. It's just a round ball with a plastic retainer. You should be able to pull the retainer out with needlenose pliers and the ball should fall out then.

We just might be looking at the future of homebrew kegging here boys...what nationally distributed beers are using these kegs? Love to get a few of the thirty liter!

The OP said Cleveland brewery so I'm assuming Great Lakes, but Fatheads could be the one I guess.

I have one of these as well. I struggled to get these off at first, I tried channel locks and putting the top in a vise without any success. The trick to getting the top off is using a strap wrench like you use to take off an oil filter on your car. Once you get it started it just screws right off.

Found how to open this type of keg ,but after computer crash I lost link.
The gay was opening and reusing pet kegs.
If anyone got it pls post link.

Back