BIAB in Keggle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicawal

Reaction score
Hey everybody, today is going to be my first BIAB. I'm using a Keggle and the grain bill calls for about 25lbs of grain just wondering if the Keggle will handle this?

The keggle will handle it for sure. I just brewed a 12 gallon Hefe using 25 lbs of grain in my keggle on Monday.

I would be more concerned if the bag you are using can handle it.

I just noticed I didn't clarify this was going to be a 10g batch and I really just wanted I know if there was room for all the water necessary to do the full BIAB process as well as 25lbs of grain. Thanks for your response though your "12g" batch kind of explains that.

Check out the "Can I mash it?" calculator at Green Bay Rackers. With a thickness of 1.5 qts/lb, you'd need just under 11.5 gallons. You should be good!

Doing the traditional full volume BiaB mash, I use not quite 8 gallons of water for a ~12 lb grain bill and hour boil. Doubling and the grain displacement is probably going to put you over 15.5 gallons unfortunately. You could mash in a separate container (I do infusion step mashes in a 32 qt tomale pot wrapped with a quilt) and dunk sparge in the keggle to get your pre-boil volume.

I'm looking to do full volume mashes, I think it'll be very close but I'm going to give it a try soon and see what happens. According to the calculator posted it should work, I know big beers are out of the question though. If anybody else out there is doing 10g full volume BIAB batches out there please let me know how it works out for you. Thanks for the replies so far!

I normally get 1/2 gallon absorption per 10 lbs of grain and boil 1 gallon per hour. Assuming that I don't have any trub losses, I'd need 10 gallons for the beer, 1 gallon for the absorption, 1 gallon for the boil, and then another 1/2 gallon for other losses giving me 12.5 gallons. Maybe pulling off a 1.040 beer like BierMuncher's Centennial blonde won't be out of the question... I think that I'm going to have to plug it into BeerSmith and give it a whirl. :mug:

Back