What is a good Base Malt for Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosStout

Reaction score
So I have one Stovetop partial mash under my belt. It turned out really good(Kolsch) Anyways I was wondering What is a good overall Base malt for pretty much any style of beer. I was leaning twords Maris Otter(Crisp) or American 2row(Rahr) Any help in choosing a base would be welcomed. Thanks.

Well, I'm sort of confused what you're asking. Are you doing partial mash batches(some grain(usually just specialty) + extract) or are you doing small batches and small mashes? For most partial mash recipes you'll not really use any base grains, as those fermentables will come from your extract. In general, most use 2row, but that's assuming all grain.

It really depends on what you make the most. Maris otter is awesome for all English style beers, and many US beers. Pilsner malt is great for many American style beers and also for Belgians and German beers. US two-row is fine for all beer styles.

I use Munich malt, Vienna malt, pilsner malt, maris otter, and US two-row for base malts, but I probably use US two-row the most since I brew a ton of IPAs, American ambers, and APAs.

Well, I'm sort of confused what you're asking. Are you doing partial mash batches(some grain(usually just specialty) + extract) or are you doing small batches and small mashes? For most partial mash recipes you'll not really use any base grains, as those fermentables will come from your extract. In general, most use 2row, but that's assuming all grain.

A partial mash uses base grain to provide some, or even most, of the fermentable sugars.

A specialty grains + extract beer is considered an extract batch.

When we talk about "partial mash", we are referring to a recipe that contains base malt but may not provide 100% of the fermentables so some extract is used.

US 2-row works well as a base in almost anything since it's low color and is usually cheapest.

It really depends on what you make the most. Maris otter is awesome for all English style beers, and many US beers. Pilsner malt is great for many American style beers and also for Belgians and German beers. US two-row is fine for all beer styles.

I use Munich malt, Vienna malt, pilsner malt, maris otter, and US two-row for base malts, but I probably use US two-row the most since I brew a ton of IPAs, American ambers, and APAs.

I make alot of Stouts and wheats, but im starting to branch out with 10 gallons of IPA after these Hefeweizens are done. Sounds like its a toss up between the 2row and the Maris. Maybe I'll just keep both on hand lol. Thanks for the quick response

Weyermann Pils is my absolute favorite base for everything from wheat beers to quads to pale ales. Marris otter is my second choice.

Latest posts

Back