Coconut Caramel Cream Stout: A recipe for Cheesefood?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cheese - I saw this recipe and immediately thought of you... I'm finally gonna make your VCCA tomorrow. Need to check on the hop inventory and pick up DME for priming but I'm all set to go!!

This baby is next!!!!

Brewer Adam Boggs
Style Cream Stout
Batch Size 5 Gallons
URL CoconutCreamStout

http://www.aircrafter.org/boggs/homebrew/recipes/2006.10.29-Coconut_Cream_Stout.xml

http://www.aircrafter.org/boggs/homebrew/CoconutCreamStout/

Ingredients Amt Unit Ingredient
9 lbs Briess 2-row Malt
1/4 lb Black Patent Malt
1/2 lb Roast Barley
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt 120L
1/4 lb Great West Malted Wheat
1/4 lb Flaked Wheat
1 oz Willamette Hops Pellets 4.2% ALPHA (First Wort)
1/2 oz Willamette Whole Hops 4.9% ALPHA (Bitter)
1/2 oz Willamette Whole Hops 4.9% ALPHA (Flavor)
1/2 oz Willamette Whole Hops 4.9% ALPHA (Aroma)
1 vial White Labs Irish Ale Yeast WLP004
2 lb Unsweetened Organic Flaked Coconut
35 oz Amy and Brian's Coconut Juice (with pulp)
1 tsp Mexican Vanilla
1/2 oz Lactose (milk sugar)
1/2 lb German Black Malt ("dry malt")
200 grams Munton's Kreamyx primer and head conditioner​

Brew Schedule Event Time
Start Mash 12:10
Recirculation 1:20
Sparge 2:00
End Sparge 3:25
First Hops 3:45
Second Hops 4:20
Heat Off 4:45
Pitch Yeast 5:30
Rack Schedule Event Date Gravity
Date Made 10/29/2006 1.052
Rack 11/08/2006 1.014
Rack 11/12/2006 1.008
Bottled 12/05/2006 1.010​

Initial fermentation was a straight-forward stout. Added 2 lb unsweetened flaked coconut (finely chopped in blender) while racking into secondary. Toasted about 1/3 of it at 250F for about 15-20 minutes. Boiled untoasted coconut in 2 cans (35 oz) Amy and Brian's Coconut Juice (with pulp) for 2 minutes to sanitize, then covered and chilled before adding to carboy with toasted coconut and vanilla using a funnel. About 6 inches of coconut and fat floated to the top of the carboy. The rest of the coconut danced around merrily as fermentation started back up vigorously. Racked again after a few days. (I was going on vacation for a few weeks, and didn't want to leave it on the coconut for that long.) At bottling time, I noticed it did not have the malt character or color I was hoping for... almost a brown ale instead of a stout. I decided to try "dry malting", a term nobody I talked to had heard of. I steeped 1/2 lb German Black Malt in a couple of quarts of water at about 150F for 20 minutes. Then I added 1/2 oz lactose and Munton's Kreamyx bottling sugar/head conditioner. Brought to a boil to sanitize, and added to the bottling bucket once cool. Kreamyx did a good job of carbonating and helping with head retention (I think) and didn't seem to impart any noticible off-flavors by my taste.

Fingers said:
What happens to the coconut in fermentation? 2 lbs seems a lot. Does it reduce very far?

I have to say that I haven't tried this. It just sparked my interrest. I also like coconut and roasted coconut. I thought the roasted coconut would fit in well with the roasted malts and the sweetness of a cream stout.

I think the coconut is akin to dry hopping or a late hop addition. Its more for smell than flavor. I'm thinking it adds flavor too. The coconut water is naturally sweet sterile water. It will really create a 2ndary ferment. Look at the comments in the recipe. The solid coconut will remain in the fermenter I'm guessing. I think the flavor will be mostly from the juice.

As for how it tastes. See this rating. I believe its made in a Colorado Micro Brewery and derived from a HB competition.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mountain-sun-coconut-cream-stout/69617/1270/

Oo this sounds interesting, I really love coconut, but I'm finding it hard to imagine what it'll taste like in a stout. Mmmm, makes me want to go to AG more and more! Arggg damn my tiny budget, aka empty bank account.

Don't know why I just found this thread, but I had the Toasted Coconut Cream Stout at the Mountain sun last winter and it was absolutely fantastic...I might have to brew this...

FYI for all coloradans, this beer is back on tap at the Mountain Sun for stout month!!! Get some while you can, I'll be there tonight!

So I comminicated with Adam, the guy who published this recipe a few times via e-mail and brewed up 10 gallons on tuesday after work. Will probably rack onto the coconut this weekend. I'll keep you all update, but I am really looking forward to this. He gave me a number of tips (apparently the Mt. Sun changed up his original recipe (they included the coconut in the boil and did not add the coconut juice, the other issue with all their beers is that they go straight from primary to keg, no aging) and he thought his way was actually better.

I had a Chocolate Coconut Porter from Kona Brewery in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. It was like drinking candy. Very nice.

I have a Choconut Stout brewing right now. I added 1 - 14 oz can of Coconut Milk to the boil. I had the aroma, but no flavor. I read Kona uses this, but I went to their website and they said they use milk. Another said they toast their coconut and use it like a dry hop. Other friends recommend Cononut extract.

Who knows where this may end up?

Holy Moly.... Low in behold I accidently find this thread revived.

I thought this sucker was dead. I never made this, but was planning to later this summer. I like to do AG as a spring, summer, fall thing. I was thinking this baby would be good for a summer brew to age until late fall early spring.

ColoradoXJ13 & homebrewer_99 - If you have tasting notes I'd like to see how it fairs. My HB club helped nix the idea after I mentioned it at a meeting. They all thought yuck!!

Who knows... maybe they'll like my banana cream ale mixed with coconut cream stout as wacked-out black and tan!! :D

BTW - I finally started using the subscribe feature! It took almost 2 friggin' years to try it...

I will surely post up, like I said, I had this beer at the Mt. Sun for stout month both last year (when it won the competition) and they made it again this year. I really liked this beer, and from what Adam said, it will come out better made at home on a smaller scale. I tweaked the recipe a bit based on what my LHBS had available, and I am adding the coconut tonight.

I have yet to make this. I bought the ingredients and intended to make an extract version. I wound up making a straight up cream stout. I planned to use coconut milk in the primary and the coconut in the secondary. I may eventually get around to this as I am certain I would like this. I would probably gargle with it without spitting. :D

Sorry, I'm not much help, just cheering from the sidelines.

Just saw this got resurrected again. I made the beer back in 2008, drank one keg in the winter of 2008/2009 and it was amazing. Everyone who tried it loved it, and I really enjoyed it as well. At that time, I was brewing with a friend and we would split 10g batches. Around a year later, he sold off his kegerator (to me) and his kegs, several of which were still full of our beer. So, drank the 2nd keg of this winter 2009/2010 and it was even better, the aging mellowed out the bitterness of some of the dark malts and the sweetness of the coconut and lactose rounded out nicely and the beer was astounding...definitely one of my best beers. It really is a dessert beer though, not something you want to drink 4 or 5 of while watching football, more of an after-dinner beer. I usually ended my nights with one of these instead of having ice cream or something :)

This beer is on my short list of things i want to brew this fall so I have one keg for this winter, and one for next winter.

This beer also won an informal competition with a large group of friends (non-brewers) who do an Octoberfest, it was the only homebrew up against about 25 commercial beers that we all tasted blindly and rated.

Thinking about trying this recipe later on in the winter months. You said it didn't have as malty of a profile as you would have liked. Do you think if I added more malts to your recipe it would help or substitute over a different malt in your recipe?

Thinking about trying this recipe later on in the winter months. You said it didn't have as malty of a profile as you would have liked. Do you think if I added more malts to your recipe it would help or substitute over a different malt in your recipe?

Don't think I ever said it didn't have a malty profile. I brewed it again yesterday, used a different base recipe (Sweet Stout from Classic Styles) and added 1lb toasted oats (home toasted) and used Marris Otter as the base malt. We'll see, should be ready in a few months.

Please don't "bump." I'd like to know how the latest iteration turned out, as well. I'm developing a recipe for a Coconut Milk Stout to celebrate my 4th wedding anniversary inspired by Black Raven's Coco Jones Porter - a delicious delicacy in Seattle.

Please don't "bump." I'd like to know how the latest iteration turned out, as well. I'm developing a recipe for a Coconut Milk Stout to celebrate my 4th wedding anniversary inspired by Black Raven's Coco Jones Porter - a delicious delicacy in Seattle.

that's what the bump is for....to keep the thread going...not to get rid of it. sheesh.

that's what the bump is for....to keep the thread going...not to get rid of it. sheesh.

Eggs actly. :D

Bumpity, bump, bump, boyoing. ....

I think I need to consider doing this, I have a stout that needs messing with. I have the coconut water already too. Hummmmmm.

I brewed a Coconut Milk Stout about a month ago. I added about 1.5 lbs of coconut to the boil at about 10 minutes. I ended up transferring it into the primary (since it clogged just about everything). I toasted another ~2lbs or so and added it to secondary. The beer tastes like coconut. So much coconut (the girlfriend loves coconut...). The toasted coconut imparts a little bourbon-ish and vanilla flavor to it. I carbed low (about 2 vol) to keep the smoothness. I'm pushing it through at about 8 psi. The head actually is fairly creamy, though short-lived.

Hopefully that helps some.

Latest posts

Back