Scaling recipies..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
OK, i am doing my first 10 gal. batch..

what is the best way to scale a recipe from 5gal to 10gal?

just double it?

all grain or extract....What kind of beer, what base malt, and what specialty grains

If you're using Beersmith, Promash, etc. it's pretty easy, just switch your batch size and adjust the ingredients until the IBUs, SRM, gravity, etc are the same as they were for the 5 gallon batch

Your grist should be all right simply doubled. The exact answer depends on what type and how much specialty grains are part of the grist.

Hops are much more complicated. The boiling dynamic changes from size to size. The utilization changes.

ProMash can scale for you. But you'll have to double-check the hops schedule and play with that. Experimentation is the only way to tell how to change the hops in a scaled-up recipe. But hey, that means you get to brew more. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

its allgrain- hence the post in the allgrain section .. lol

for 5 gal:

Fermentables

* 4 lbs. Rahr White Wheat
* 4 lbs. Rahr 2-Row Pale

Boil Additions

* 1 oz. Willamette (60 min)
* 1 oz. Cascade (15 min)

If you choose dry yeast

* Safale K-97. Optimum temperature: 59-75° F.

If you choose liquid yeast

* Wyeast #1010 American Wheat Yeast. Optimum temperature: 58-74° F.

Mash Schedule

* 153° F for 60 minutes
* 170° F for 10 minutes

One small thing to keep in mind, if you usually collect 6.5 gallons to boil down to 5.5, you don't want to collect 13 gallons, necessarily. The boiloff should remain at 1 gallon (if that's what you usually get), that'll stay constant (assuming same boil vessel, same boil vigor, same relative humidity). It's not going to scale.

Beersmith has a scaling tool. You shouldn't have to do any calculations. You can scale by size/efficiency/etc... Very helpfull

If you don't have beersmith, well then, you're just silly

ive got it, and thats what it gave me.. just double checking since it was my first 10gal batch.. thanks!

Back