Yeast Nutrient and the Color of Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
I just started a 3 gallon batch of sweet Georgia peach wine today. While the fruit was in the mesh bag in the bucket waiting to cool for the nutrients to be added, it developed a beautiful pinky peachy color. When it cooled and I added the yeast nutrient it changed instantly to a yellow color. Will my lovely pink color come back ? I cannot recall this ever happening before.

The color may change dramatically between now and when the wine is finished.

I have a tomato wine, made with 100% red ripe tomatoes, that was golden when it was finished. No red/pink hue at all.

Much of the pigments of the fruit drop out with the sediment. Yeast nutrient isn't responsible for the color change, though. At least not that I've ever seen. I've been making wine for 20+ years, and never seen yeast nutrient permanently change the color.

Maybe not permanently, but as soon as I added the yeast nutrient and started stirring it in, the color changed. I am sure thats what changed it, I just want to know if my color will come back. I want it to finish with that nice color it seemed like it was going to start with. I too have had many wines change colors drastically over time and even with aging. I am just hoping that nice peachy color will come back.

Maybe not permanently, but as soon as I added the yeast nutrient and started stirring it in, the color changed. I am sure thats what changed it, I just want to know if my color will come back. I want it to finish with that nice color it seemed like it was going to start with. I too have had many wines change colors drastically over time and even with aging. I am just hoping that nice peachy color will come back.

I've never seen a peach wine be a peachy color- usually a white wine.

Pitched the yeast today and it was back to peachy colored. Not sure why stirring in the yeast nutrient instantly changed the color but it did. I had to wait my 12 hours and add Pectic enzyme and another 12 before pitching my yeast. When I opened the bucket today to add the yeast the original color was back. It is a really cool peachy orange yellow color. I will have to post pictures when I rack it in 10 days to my secondary.

Back