Your Favorite Underappreciated Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love me some citra.......like everyone. But, there are great hops that are going under utilized. Cascade and Centennial are still great (love to use them with citra). Also, Magnum, glacier, and liberty are favorites of mine that are always available.

I love me some citra.......like everyone. But, there are great hops that are going under utilized. Cascade and Centennial are still great (love to use them with citra). Also, Magnum, glacier, and liberty are favorites of mine that are always available.

+1 on the Glacier! A really amazing hop that moves well between american and english beers.

Cascade + Centennial. The combination is amazing, even if you use a VERY heavy hand. Union Jack and SN Celebration re two awesome commercial examples of the combo. You can't go wrong, and both hops are available 99.2% of the time

What's the recipe?

It's a modified version of EdWort's kolsch. 11 gallon batch with more grain and hops and fermented at 62*
I can't keep the stuff around.
The other one I do is an Imperial Pilsner with Perle and Tet.

scottland said:
Cascade + Centennial. The combination is amazing, even if you use a VERY heavy hand. Union Jack and SN Celebration re two awesome commercial examples of the combo. You can't go wrong, and both hops are available 99.2% of the time

Centennial is not available anywhere close go 99% of the time, it is almost as hard to get as Citra, Amarillo, or simcoe.

Centennial is not available anywhere close go 99% of the time, it is almost as hard to get as Citra, Amarillo, or simcoe.

Huh? You can get Centennial at any of the online retailers throughout the year, even late in the summer. I haven't seen a shortage of it.

Mine is Nugget. I just love that hop. So pleasing, floral, slightly herbal, it's almost noble. I used Tettnang yesterday on a Munchener Helles and thought, "This smells a lot like Nugget". I buy it by the pound and use it for bittering, flavor, and aroma, depending on the recipe. Made a nice all Nugget IIPA (in recipes) that I love.

I was gonna say.... all this talk about citra and centennial and sorachi ace and nelson.... those are OVER appreciated hops. All great in their own right, but everyone loves them. Nugget is a standby for me and my amber ale. Something that I thought was really interesting was Bullion, with its currant like flavor. In fact... I might do a mix with nelson sauvin for a nice bright fruity blonde, without any actual fruit.

there is a definite shortage of centennial this year. it's not quite as bad as citra/simcoe/amarillo, but centennial is a close fourth on that list. not all shops have them right now. they will run out. i bought a pound from yakimavalleyhops while i still could. hops direct have a decent supply of pellets on hand but they're limiting them to 1 per customer (just like citra/simcoe/amarillo). they're sold out of leaf.

+1 on Willamette - Cheap, flowering and fruity, and can be used in many different styles

Mt. Hood - Clean with hints of flower and spice; I like it in combo with 6-Row and flaked maize for a Semi-SMASH Cream Ale

Newport - Earthy and herbal; Great in American Browns, Robust Porters, and American Stouts; Can be used to bitter an IPA in a pinch

OK, maybe I stand corrected, NorthernBrewer does not have them, but I see them at Williams' Brewing, Midwest Supply, Niko's, Freshops.com, etc. etc.

But I see that they are not cheap so yeah, maybe a little shortage.

No love for Crystal so far? I think it's Jolly Pumpkins go to hop.

Sterling for sure for me. Next would be Apollo - great for bittering and in the dry-hop it smells like orange marmalade!

Maybe not at your LHBS, but you can always find centennial from somewhere. It was a little thin from some suppliers, while others had plenty. By the end of December, going into January you'll be able to find it everywhere again

Definitely going with Northern Brewer- just a great hop. I don't understand the harshness or woodsiness other people get from NB. It really adds an interesting touch to a lot of beers.

For lighter flavored beers, Mt. Hood can't be beat. You never see it used, though.

Maybe not at your LHBS, but you can always find centennial from somewhere. It was a little thin from some suppliers, while others had plenty. By the end of December, going into January you'll be able to find it everywhere again
i don't think that'll be the case. all signs lead me to believe that stocks will continue to decline.

i'll bet you a pound of centennial that come january, we won't be "able to find it everywhere". we would have to define what that means (hence how to dtermine the bet), but i'm unfortunately of the opinion that availability will be very low.

FYI - Citra and Centennial are the furthest thing away from underappreciated hops.

My vote goes to Glacier.

I started a Pale Ale project where I was going to bitter everything with Magnum and late addition with U.S. Hops starting with the letter A making my way through Z. Well, I got distracted, and never made it past the first one, but I used Ahtnum and it was delicious. I rarely see that hop mentioned and I loved that brew.

i don't think that'll be the case. all signs lead me to believe that stocks will continue to decline.

i'll bet you a pound of centennial that come january, we won't be "able to find it everywhere". we would have to define what that means (hence how to dtermine the bet), but i'm unfortunately of the opinion that availability will be very low.

Self fulfilling prophecies.

And cascade and centennial don't have the hype that the hops du jour right now have (citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, etc)

I want to note it here, cause it may not last.....but GLACIER went from no votes to 50% of the last 6.....;)

Glacier it´s a great hop I can get it very easily or cheap here that´s why I go with summit. But I most admit that glacier is a lovely hop.

I love Ahtanum and will probably use it in an American Bitter recipe I am planning to brew. I used up 2 pounds of it last year. I also really like crystal, I dry hopped a small belgian pale ale in the keg with it and the aroma was great. Palisades are nice too, I did a farmhouse IPA with them that turned out very well.

stbnj said:
I love Ahtanum and will probably use it in an American Bitter recipe I am planning to brew. I used up 2 pounds of it last year. I also really like crystal, I dry hopped a small belgian pale ale in the keg with it and the aroma was great. Palisades are nice too, I did a farmhouse IPA with them that turned out very well.

So how would you describe ahtanum? I always find store descriptions kind of generic (for all hops).

Pac Gem and Motueka are really nice, unique hops. They'll give a character you don't find in almost any other hops. Nice and melony, tropical, some citrus. I'm a big fan of both and make a hop-burst PA with them (in my recipes)

melony... is there a lot of that in Motueka? I could see how that would dance well with a certain mouth feel, but i don't think i want too much of that in my lager

ThePonchoKid said:
melony... is there a lot of that in Motueka? I could see how that would dance well with a certain mouth feel, but i don't think i want too much of that in my lager

I had a single-hop motueka wheat beer here from Half Acre brewing, very hoppy. It was definitely tropical, I didn't get so much melon, but a hit of spiciness in the background. Good enough that I'm sitting on a lb of 2012 as we speak!

ThePonchoKid said:

pac gem may be more melony but both are very unique and combine them and its interesting

Not one mention of Bravo, it paired well with some Apollo. try it!

Magnum and willamette. Never tried them in the same brew and don't think it would work well if I did. Love the magnum for buttering. I made an all willamette ale that was a favorite among my friends.

Latest posts

Back