NB's Rye Malt Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I've brewed a grand total of one beer (and it's still green) and I've never played with recipe creation before, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I did do a search and wasn't able to find anything that quite addressed my question.

I've tried and really enjoyed Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. I see that Northern Brewer has come out with a rye malt syrup, which is a boon to extract brewers that want to use rye.

With a grain bill of 70% 2-row, 20% rye malt, and 10% caramel 40%, this sounds very much like the grain bill of a typical rye IPA. My question is this: could you just use 12-12.25 lbs of this stuff as the grain bill for a respectable rye IPA?

Enoch52 said:
I've brewed a grand total of one beer (and it's still green) and I've never played with recipe creation before, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I did do a search and wasn't able to find anything that quite addressed my question.

I've tried and really enjoyed Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. I see that Northern Brewer has come out with a rye malt syrup, which is a boon to extract brewers that want to use rye.

With a grain bill of 70% 2-row, 20% rye malt, and 10% caramel 40%, this sounds very much like the grain bill of a typical rye IPA. My question is this: could you just use 12-12.25 lbs of this stuff as the grain bill for a respectable rye IPA?

IMO rye usually will only make up 10-20% of the grain bill so if I understand your question you would not want to only use the rye extract as your base malt, that would just be way too much!

Actually, according to Northern Brewer the rye is only 20% of the syrup, so it would seem to hit the upper end of your recommendation. I agree that you wouldn't want 100% rye malt as the base!

Back