Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. Now I have this stuck in my head:

I love Iron Maiden, but generally can't stand power metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Now I have this stuck in my head:

I love Iron Maiden, but generally can't stand power metal.

:D I was thinking more along the lines of Stormwarrior.

I can't really say I get into Dragonforce. They're just too cheesy for me.

Dragonforce would be so much more badass if they didnt sing about wizards and ...dragons... and probably more wizards. I have my own classification for dragonforce and the like. I call em fantasy metal. Not so much in an inuslting manner, but read the lyrics and you get my point...

Dragonforce would be so much more badass if they didnt sing about wizards and ...dragons... and probably more wizards. I have my own classification for dragonforce and the like. I call em fantasy metal. Not so much in an inuslting manner, but read the lyrics and you get my point...

If you think they're bad...

Now where are my 20-sided dice.

Gah. Power metal. Dragons and wizards is about right.

With a name like that I expected to hear a few Oi Ois for good measure.

I'm trying to think of a single song by that band that even has one, and drawing a blank. Seems they prefer the other Oi! band cliche, with a bunch of songs about beer. Unfortunately not too many youtube posts available, but their song "Beer" is a great one.

Similar to these guys:

Which gets me to my other point: pisses me off when people assume that a cover is the original. Happens with the Blood for Blood cover of the above, happens all the time with the Agnostic Front cover of "Crucified", or (not so appropriate for this thread) the Blondie cover (or that atrocious pop cover by some British band I don't recall the name of) of "The Tide is High". Not that I don't love all three covers (but not that brit-pop travesty), but give some credit where credit is due FFS.

On your last video this was a related video.

I freaking love this song. I know it's more of the audio engineer and less of the punk in me, but I love hi-fi punk rock. You know, the "polished" stuff in a genre that's defined by low-fi recordings.

Here's another great example.

Unlike most people who get into punk rock I actually think The Unseen and The Casualties got better with time. Like a fine beer.

if cover is what you want
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YdHfvgvP_mg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome times. I wish some of you guys lived in the Phoenix area. I could use some home brewing punk rock friends to hang out with...

This hasn't been bumped in a while, so here goes. I'm not going to read through all of the thread and I've been drinking this morning, so forgive me ahead of time.

With that being typed I'm not sure if I've posted about this before (most likely I have), but I love Skate Punk. It's probably my favorite genre (either that or punk influenced hardcore I.E. Comeback Kid, With Honor, etc.). Because of this and my iTunes being on random and playing some Jughead's Revenge I feel the need to post a video.

Everything about this song is amazing down to the song structure. This is a song with an irregular song structure especially for punk rock. Once again I've been drinking, so if I'm wrong on this forgive me, but the song structure goes like this: Verse (X3) Bridge (X2) Ch (X2) Interlude (X1) Verse (X1) Chorus (X2) Breakdown/Outro (XIdon'tknowhowmany).

A few weeks ago a coworker of mine got food from Panda Express. Another coworker of mine who was working w/ the Panda Express coworker mentioned the Panda coworker was eating an "endangered species". Since I barely ever eat out and have a bias against food prepared to be sold to the masses (preservative laden food discussion is welcome) I mentioned that instead of eating "Endangered Species" he was eating "Endangered Feces". While I realize the extreme nature of my comment I also realized at that time the extreme awesomeness that I had uttered from my vocal chords. "Endangered Feces" is quite possibly one of the best punk band names I have ever come up with. I give this name to any of you who plan on starting a punk band in the near future. All I ask for is credit for the name.

A few weeks ago a coworker of mine got food from Panda Express. Another coworker of mine who was working w/ the Panda Express coworker mentioned the Panda coworker was eating an "endangered species". Since I barely ever eat out and have a bias against food prepared to be sold to the masses (preservative laden food discussion is welcome) I mentioned that instead of eating "Endangered Species" he was eating "Endangered Feces". While I realize the extreme nature of my comment I also realized at that time the extreme awesomeness that I had uttered from my vocal chords. "Endangered Feces" is quite possibly one of the best punk band names I have ever come up with. I give this name to any of you who plan on starting a punk band in the near future. All I ask for is credit for the name.

Dunno about punk, but it'd make a good grindcore name.

My wife came up with "The Byford Dolphin Experience" as a grindcore band name a few years ago based on this incident (scroll down to the diving bell accident section): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

So the NFL went from butchering a Joan Jett song to butchering a Ramones song. I hate to be cliche, but Joey and Johnny are rolling in their graves.

I just started listening to Carnivore and wish I had sooner. I wasn't really into TO- back in the day and had heard of Peter Steele's old band but figured it was more of the same. I got interested after I read that Steele actually penned some of the music and lyrics for Agnostic Front's Cause For Alarm album.

Crossover(like grindcore ;)) is a ***** to categorize, I always placed Carnivore on the metal side of it though.

S.M.D!

Also, what would you guys classify this as? I'd guess crust, altough over here in sweden we have crust and käng(boot)punk". Käng being more mayhem and upbeat, while crust is more like Amebix.

Edit: Japanese hardcore (d-beat) is also a good example of "käng", for example:

(Framtid is "Future" in swedish)​

Also Pisschrist are awesome:

Dyslexic punks cant spell to "Blood red dry"...​

Bang your fist and drink your kir

Disfear rules, saw them at pointless fest years back.

D-beat is really just any Dis- band ... it's the Dis(charge) influence ...

I'd consider most of those bands d-beat.

As far as japanese hardcore goes ... the BEST band ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f27VAZLL7v0

i had this 7" back in the day and i miss it SOOOO MUCH.

look for the other song, 'rotten to the core'

Disfear rules, saw them at pointless fest years back.

D-beat is really just any Dis- band ... it's the Dis(charge) influence ...

I'd consider most of those bands d-beat.

As far as japanese hardcore goes ... the BEST band ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f27VAZLL7v0

i had this 7" back in the day and i miss it SOOOO MUCH.

look for the other song, 'rotten to the core'

I'm digging it! Thanks for sharing.

I know some folks on this thread aren't wild about Ignite...

But I meant to post this yesterday. A) because it's an awesome song and B) well, if you're a history buff you should know what reason B is, and my hat off to you, otherwise no big deal.

Yeah, I'm sorry. I just can't get into Zoli's vocals. He ruined Pennywise... I love Ignite's music though. If I could get their bed tracks with no vocals I'd listen to them all the time.

Here you go.

It's just not Pennywise to me. It's real tough for a band to replace a singer and still be the same band.

OK, when I saw the heading I had to look.
I've tuned in what they call punk today and I didn't recognize it.

Ramones, Sex Pistols, the clash.... those were great bands!
I still listen to all of that stuff from time to time.

OK, when I saw the heading I had to look.
I've tuned in what they call punk today and I didn't recognize it.

Ramones, Sex Pistols, the clash.... those were great bands!
I still listen to all of that stuff from time to time.

We welcome talk of all kinds of punk rock in here. Personally, I love most of it, even the '77 stuff you mentioned. 999, the Buzzcocks, X-Ray Spex, Generation X, etc. I love it all.

Welcome to the thread.

Latest posts

Back