If you could only have 4 hops?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow morning at work, so I crunched some numbers from this thread. So far:

• 34 responses (that played by the rules and named 4 and only 4 hops)
  • 27 different hops mentioned
  • 17,550 possible 4-hop combinations given the 27 named
  • 33 unique 4-hop combinations given - the only repeat has been "Amarillo, Cascade Chinook, & Simcoe"
  • Most common hops mentioned = Amarillo (14 times; 42.2% of responses), Centennial (14; 42.2%), Saaz (13; 38.2%), Cascade (12; 35.3%)
  • Most common two-hop combination = Amarillo & Cascade and Amarillo & Columbus, both 6 times (17.6% of responses)

I'll keep adding responses to my spreadsheet as they come in and will update if/when needed. I'm also thinking of a way to categorize each hop, but I'm not sure the best way to do that (citrusy, spicy, earthy?).

:fro:

Slow morning at work, so I crunched some numbers from this thread. So far:

• 34 responses (that played by the rules and named 4 and only 4 hops)
  • 27 different hops mentioned
  • 17,550 possible 4-hop combinations given the 27 named
  • 33 unique 4-hop combinations given - the only repeat has been "Amarillo, Cascade Chinook, & Simcoe"
  • Most common hops mentioned = Amarillo (14 times; 42.2% of responses), Centennial (14; 42.2%), Saaz (13; 38.2%), Cascade (12; 35.3%)
  • Most common two-hop combination = Amarillo & Cascade and Amarillo & Columbus, both 6 times (17.6% of responses)

I'll keep adding responses to my spreadsheet as they come in and will update if/when needed. I'm also thinking of a way to categorize each hop, but I'm not sure the best way to do that (citrusy, spicy, earthy?).

:fro:
Good job...now what am I going to do with my slow day?:mug: I know, prepare for vacation. :ban:

Columbus - dank/resiny
Citra - tropical/fruity
Amarillo - citrusy/floral
Simcoe - piney/complex

I don't see the allure for muted hops like Magnum, Warrior, and Perle. They have little no to character and you can get that, plus high alpha, from a number of other more characterful/versatile hops that you could use throughout the boil as well as dryhop.

Columbus - dank/resiny
Citra - tropical/fruity
Amarillo - citrusy/floral
Simcoe - piney/complex

I don't see the allure for muted hops like Magnum, Warrior, and Perle. They have little no to character and you can get that, plus high alpha, from a number of other more characterful/versatile hops that you could use throughout the boil as well as dryhop.

Yeah, wanting a hop that has a clean bitterness is stupid. :drunk::drunk:

Centennial
Ahtanum
Palisade
Fuggles

Add a fifth and it would be Sterling

If I had the luxury of a 6th it would be Magnum for bittering.

I would be quite happy with those for a long, long time.

I was just thinking about this earlier in the week to prepare for my next bulk purchase!

Styrian Aurora - for bittering and Belgians
Hallertau
Perle
Saaz

I'm a sucker for simple grain bills and noble hops.

The four I use most are:
Magnum - All bittering for american ales
Hallertau - All german beer hopping I do with this one
Centennial - enough said
EKG - covers all my hopping for english beers, but i do occaisionally use target in high IBU british beers.

Back