New Here! Some beginner's questions! :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koebi

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm fairly new to brewing, having only made two so far- both were from Brewer's Best kits, one Irish stout and the other a milk stout. They both turned out really well, despite all my newbie anxiety and jitters! XD

I'm slowly eeking out into making beers from recipes rather than kits, and playing around with Beersmith as well! I've got my eye on a Belgian tripel-style beer right now, here's the recipe I've got.

2 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
1.5 oz Saaz pellet hops for 60 minutes
.5 oz Saaz pellet hops for 10 minutes
1 oz sweet orange peel for 5 minutes
6 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (added after the boil)
1.5 lb light Belgian candi sugar(added after the boil)
2 packages WLP550 liquid yeast

This puts me at an OG of 1.081, 26.7 IBU, and ABV of 9.4%. The color is a little bit light at 4.2 SRM, but that doesn't matter as much (I don't think!)

Any suggestions? I currently only have a 3 gallon stainless steel pot, so I can't do a full boil. The orange peel was from a recipe I had found somewhere online, and though it might be a great addition to the beer, but I'm not 100% sure, yet.

Also: Is it possible/recommended to do a full boil by way of doing two batches with half the water and ingredients, then combining them? Or should I stick with the partial boil I have planned until I can get a new pot?

Thanks in advance for any tips, welcomes, and advice! :mug:

EDIT: Recipe changes!

I would just do the partial boil.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "late boil for 40 minutes."

A tip I picked up reading some other posts, since it's a partial boil, adding the extract in for the last 40 minutes of the boil instead of the full boil. I think this is the way to go, rather than just adding more hops.

Try adding 1.5lb of the DME to the boil of 2-2.5 gallons for all the hop additions,including bittering. DME doesn't darken as quickly as LME does. Then add remaing DME,candi sugar,etc at flame out. Cover & steep for 15 minutes after mixing well. The heat is still 180+,so it's still hot enough to pasteurize,which happens about 162F. Then proceed as normal.

Haven't heard of the 40 minute technique. I think you're wise to follow unionrdr's advice.

You may want to either make a starter for your yeast or add another pack. I'm doing the tripel from Brewing Classic Styles soon, also OG of 1.081, and JZ recommends using 3 yeast packs. http://www.yeastcalc.com will help you figure out what you need to ferment that big boy.

Back