Iodopher Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhudson

Reaction score
I am wondering what everyone's techniques are when using an Iodopher solution? I have JUST started using this chemical and coincedently enough, I had a batch of beer go bad; my first in five years as a matter of fact. Not only that, but this was the first time I'd ever used the solution throughout the whole brewing process. I used to use plain ole bleach water to sanitize everything but figured I would move on to something else. Anyways, I simply followed the instructions on the bottle. Mix it up, let stuff sit in it, and let air dry. I'm not really sure I can blame the solution for my batch going bad, but I just wanted to see if everyone else does similar things when using Iodopher solutions.

sounds like you did it right...I always let my stuff sit in it for at least 15 min. Usually let my carboys/buckets sit for 30-60 mins with it full....As long as its an amber color its strong enough to work.

Yeah, it wasn't the Iodophor. Something might not have been clean, or you accidentaly did something to infect the beer, but let me tell ya, Iodophor works.

I often don't wait 15 minutes. Iodophor sanitizes just about on contact, I mix it in a solution of 1 tsp per gallon. For fermenters, I usually throw a half gallon in there and slosh it around and dump it out. For everything else, I have a big container of it that I dunk stuff in.

One buddy of mine says Iodphor works best at the right concentration and is less effective at higher concentrations. I don't ever have a problem with it in the 10+ years I have brewed with it. All my infections have been user error.

Sorry about your batch :(

So, when you work with it, do you let your stuff air dry? Or do you dip, let it sit, take it out and use? Rinse first?

Nah, I don't let it *dry* per se. Just kind of shake it off. Never rinse.

The minute amounts of iodophor left on equipment make no difference at all. I pretty much pull my equipment out of the solution immediately before use and I empty my fermenters immediately before filling them. I wouldn't feel confident in my sanitization if I let it dry completely as it would have so much exposure to air by then.

Alrighty then. I'll try that this weekend. I think that the off batch of beer that was created was because of my increasingly amount of laziness to sanitation. I had begun cutting a lot of corners and I think this was the beer god's way of getting me back inline.

I sometimes dry with a clean paper towel. Like if i have to sanitize my thermometer real quick, I wipe it off with a paper towel. I havent had any problems ....

jhudson said:
Alrighty then. I'll try that this weekend. I think that the off batch of beer that was created was because of my increasingly amount of laziness to sanitation. I had begun cutting a lot of corners and I think this was the beer god's way of getting me back inline.

Almost certainly then. It's all in the attitude and dilligence is the name of the game. I'm the most slacker brewer there is, but I am really particular about sanitation.

In the case of a quick need for a thermometer, I'd just use it wet. Paper towels aren't sterile, and could easily wipe a bunch of bacteria all over the place. Maybe it's just me being too anal about sanitizing, but I don't like to physically touch sanitized equipment with anything. Iodine won't hurt anything if you get such a tiny amount in the beer. That's the nice thing about using it.

I mix idophor as I need it, usually on brew day or the day before. I then put it into a spray bottle and use that to spray down everything. (I make sure I clean everything good first.) I use less idophor that way and still get a good coverage on my equipment. Once I have sprayed everything I allow it to sit before use, then I will spray it again. No issues so far.

I've talked to some people who have been able to taste the iodine in a finished beer if stuff wasn't rinsed. Perhaps the concentrations of the iodophor weren't right or something? I use an acid sanitiser, which is clearly intended as a no-rinse sanitizer, as opposed to bleach (which I used for some time without any problems, but I did have to rinse religiously). Can anybody attest to tasting and Iodine flavor in a finished beer? (I haven't personally, but then pretty much the only homebrew I have drunk has been my own)

off topic slightly... on another site I read that using iodopher on plastic fermenters will put a coat on them that wiil not allow them to ferment the beer. Anyone familiar with that??

the rusty knight said:
off topic slightly... on another site I read that using iodopher on plastic fermenters will put a coat on them that wiil not allow them to ferment the beer. Anyone familiar with that??

Nope, it's not true. It can stain the plastic equipment a light brownish color if you leave it in the solution too long, but it won't prevent fermentation.

Back