TJ's Mission Street series, soooo good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
For so long, I've passed by the mission street beers at Trader Joe's thinking that these beers were inferior to the name brand craft beer. Since about a month ago the Mission Street beers have been my goto for pales and ipa's. Then I try their brown ale. Wow, I love this beer– malty, English biscuity and toasty. It's perfect. It needs to be an amazing beer for me to get excited about a brown ale.

Then after thinking I found something truly unique to TJ's and too cheap for beer geeks to appreciate, I find out the series is made by Firestone Walker. No wonder.

Don't pass these up. They are worth every little penny.

their josephsbrau stuff is contracted out with gordon biersch. it's good stuff all around IMO. not amazing but for six bucks a six pack you can't really get much better. a lot of people seem to think the mission st pale is the same as the FW pale 31

The Mission Street is almost the Firestone Walker Pale 31. The base beer, which is the Mission St. Pale, is blended with a little Double Barrel Ale, around, 10-15%, to get the Pale 31.

And BTW, the Mission St. won gold at GABF this year, with Pale 31 winning Silver in the same category. Firestone is definitely doing something right. Along with Union Jack wining or 2 years in a row.

Hey, jmo88, I've gotta ask what's with the roman numeral musical analysis under your avatar? Musician, student, geek, or all the above?

Hey, jmo88, I've gotta ask what's with the roman numeral musical analysis under your avatar? Musician, student, geek, or all the above?

musician and geek for sure— classical piano. You must've spent your fair share with theory?

Mission Street Pale is outstanding! The IPA is also excellent - made by Firestone Walker as well. Tastes like Union Jack to me but not sure if it's the same recipe. FW is not distributed here in Mass., so this is a great way for me to get some of their beers. Only problem is that there are only a handful of TJs which are allowed to sell booze in my "nanny" state.

how does TJ's do this exactly? Are all Mission Street beers made by Firestone Walker or does it mainly depend on what part of the country you live in? I think TJ's will contract different bakeries, farmers, butchers etc depending on the state they are located in but do they do the same thing with breweries? I'm gonna have to check the labels on the mission street beers here a little closer next time. I can't get Firestone Walker in this state but if TJ's is selling the same beer in a different bottle I'm gonna be excited.

They did a FW series on The Brewing Network Can you Brew It recently and talked abou the TJs beers. All of the Mission Street beers across the country are FW - you can tell by the bottle shape and the fact that they say brewed in Paso Robles, CA.

There was some discussion about how TJ's stores and transports the beer, especially to the east coast, and if it would have off flavors by the time you bought it. I haven't found that to be the case here yet.

Back