Is a 30 quart brew kettle big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
Hello beer buddies! Home depot has some cajun cooker thing for 90 bucks or so and it includes a propane burner and 30 quart aluminum kettle, is that big enough for all grain recipes? 7.5 gallons? thanks friends :ban:

You can probably do it but its cutting it real close. I have a 32 qt and its BAIRLY big enough. IF you lost 1 gallon to evaporation during the boil you need 6.5 gallons to yeild 5.5 galons, which is what I do. 6.5 gallons is way closer to the top of the kettle then I really like. You cannot boil too hard or you will get a boil over for sure and you really got to watch it. You can do it but you have to be careful.

I have one but it's not quite big enough for all grain. I usually collect at least 7.5 gallons of wort, but only 6 gallons fits in the pot without boiling over. I have to get the rest going on the stove and slowly add it back into the brewpot. It can work, but a 10 gal pot would really be recommended for all grain.

I just did a test boil with my 30qt pot and I feel quite confident that I will be able to manage boil overs starting with 6.5 gallons in the pot. Even though it is rated at 30 qts, I think absolute capacity is closer to 36. I put exactly 6.5 gals in the pot and there was another 2" of head space. I figure I'll lose about 1/2" before I even add extract.

By the way, skip Depot and go to Walmart. The same kind of kit is only $37.

Bobby

I got a good deal on E-bay. 38qt stainlees steel stock pot for $58.00 Nice quailty pot made in Wisc. I justed used it for a brew this weekend, worked out great.

Bobby_M said:
By the way, skip Depot and go to Walmart. The same kind of kit is only $37.Bobby

Is that for stainless steel or aluminum? I got the SS cajun cooker 30 qt from Home Depot for $99. As has already been said here, it is cutting it real close for AG. I think 30 qts is all the way to the brim. I put 6 gal. in it and it was just a couple inches from the top. I may look for a larger kettle for brewing and keep this one for boiling corn or frying - it came with all the accessories anyway.

I'll second (or third, or fourth) that it can be done - I've got 9 all-grain full boils under my belt (on a 7.5 gal pot) now and haven't boiled over yet. But, you've gotta stay on top of it. If I were buying a pot right now I'd go for at least 40 qt. just so I could walk away a little more.

But, that being said, once you get the hot break you're fine.

The Walmart fryer that is $37 is aluminum. I did however just buy a 30qt SS pot that was being sold as a fryer kit replacement pot (I guess). I think it was an older stock item and I grabbed the last one they had, but I only paid $30. You might not find such a steal. I found that I can't really get a fast enough boil on my stove, but I was able to do it by having the pot straddle 2 of the 3 burners on my grill.

Bobby

I will also agree that the 7.5 gallon pot is fine for 5 gallon batches. I got a turkey fryer kit from Bass Pro. The kettle has a spigot on the side. I filled the pot with about 7 gallons of runnings from the mash tun. The only time that I really had to watch it like a hawk was when it started to a boil and before I got the hot break. I boiled for 5 minutes to get the hot break to drop then added the hops and started the 60 minute clock.

I boiled off about a gallon, chilled then whirlpooled. I was able to drain the pot with the spigot and did not get any hop trub other than a few bits in the beginning and at the end when I tilted the pot to get as much sweet wort out as possible, enough to get just over 5 gallons in the carboy. The best part was that I didn't have to siphon!

I picked up a stainless 8 gallon cajun fryer at SAMS for $99. It was easy to attach the weldless bulkheads and on to brewing. The 32 qt. was pushing it but it worked for AG.

Back