Mini Mashing the night before???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that one of the guys at my LHBS does overninght mashing in his cooler...he wraps it in a sleeping bag, and puts it near the furnace and it only drops a couple of degrees overnight. I don't know about oven mashing and doing it...

That's kinda what I figured...

I was hoping some people with practical experience would jump in...I've only had discussions with others about it, but never tried...

I did find this BYO piece, that has some good info...Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Story Index - Mashing - Is there any reason you couldn't mash overnight and just sparge in the morning?

And this http://www.fermentarium.com/content/view/232/58/

http://www.homebrew-supplies.com/homebrewing-tips/stop-waiting-do-an-overnight-mash/

Yea - see I'm was thinking of doing everything EXCEPT the boil. We have people coming over in the morning so the mini mashing would be a problem but if I can get all of that out of the way tonight . . . . and just start the boil tomorrow.

I think if you kept the mash temp in the safe range then you could do that, leave it all in there and boil tomorrow. I even think that's what the BYO article is saying....

BUT I think you would still sparge in the morning.....It's prolly too late...but I went out to the brew pub..and either you did it or said to heck with it.....sorry.

:mug:

On my last batch, I did my partial mash the evening before. Collected the wort in a sanitized bucket fermenter, and put a lid on it. Boiled it the next day and didn't have any problems.

It would take quite a while for wild yeast or bacteria to build up harmful numbers/ruin the wort, and boiling it kills any of the few cells that might have gotten in there. You could boil it briefly and then tuck it in for the night, but don't think it would be necessary.

I was just thinking this yesterday during an AG day. As thompson points out, seemed like the logical thing one could do is just store it in a sanitised bucket for the night, then resume the next day.

Sure would be nice to open up AG events as a mid-week thing for me instead of having to reserve them strictly to the weekends (or days off).

Back